Fuel Sending Unit Odd ohm Reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noelsautomotive

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 (1-ton Dually)
Engine Size
6.0 LS (soon)
Has anyone come across a fuel sending ohm reading issue where it reads within range with the key off and resistance goes way up (triples from ~90 ohms, which is full, to over 200ohms which is out of range). We swapped in a 6.0 into our 1-ton dually with dual tanks…has been a pain to get both tanks working but finally have that sorted, but left with right tank reading being whacky. New sending units, sanded frame to bare metal for a good ground for the sending unit and tested various sections of wire with no issues…down to the pigtail that goes over the frame to the top of the sending unit. Bed is on but don’t feel any pinches, etc. (which I think would affect all readings not just when the key is on), connector looks fine too. Electrical not my strongest area and I’m puzzled why turning the key on would affect the resistance reading on just the right tank. Could the wires inside the tank (also new with the new sending unit and fuel pump) be too close, too thin of insulation and causing interference? That’s the only guess I have currently, but seems unlikely and would have to pull the bed again to see… Will take bed back off if I have to, but really don’t want to.

Any thoughts or education gladly accepted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88slvrpony