Front bumper opinion on position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Bumper is fine, so is the truck, rock on Texas Mike

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, I clicked on the image. It doesn't get much bigger on my PC. Oh well, I guess I can't help.
I want to thank everyone for their comments and here is what I’ve concluded:
1. The bumper is tilted a little forward.
2. The right side needs to go back an 1/8” and down a 1/16”.
3. It needs to slide left an 1/8”.
This would equal perfection and I’m just not sure, right now, if it’s worth all of that effort. If I had a lift, I would give it a shot. I’m blessed to have time on my hands and am always looking for ways to make a beautiful truck even better. If I took this thing to a body shop for this adjustment, they would probably think I am crazy. Hell, maybe I am.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is the most direct to the side photo I have of mine and the gap looks to be about the same as yours...

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for the picture and you’re right, my bumper lines up with the parking light in about the same place. I have been wondering if it needed to go back about 3/4” to remove the gap between the back edge and whatever that painted piece is called when you look down on ithe top of the bumper.
BTW, you hav a beautiful truck!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Thanks for the picture and you’re right, my bumper lines up with the parking light in about the same place. I have been wondering if it needed to go back about 3/4” to remove the gap between the back edge and whatever that painted piece is called when you look down on ithe top of the bumper.
BTW, you hav a beautiful truck!
Thank you. It lived a hard life prior to me getting it, and it has its share of battle wounds, but it's solid. Recently found a book on electrical, and a water meter key under the seat. Makes me wonder if the truck was used by a meter reader, or a drunken one at that from the dents in the body panels. I like that it is factory paint, well the brown is, and lower portion of white is, but the cab was brushed with white paint, safe to assume it's household paint that was brushed on. The PO hated it, his wife loved it. My wife despises the truck but will ride in it, and it took me a long time to like it, but I find it sexy now. Was not a fan of the '81 front end until about 2 years ago. I recently discovered that the top of the hood is the perfect height to arch my back on to reset it...lol...

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
All interesting stuff and all part of the provenance. The picture in my information block, was taken in 1986 and the gentlemen and his wife are the mom and dad of the owner of Reddico Construction Company. The truck was purchased new for the company fleet so Mr. Redd could use it for his company duties. He had been retired for about a year and was bored so Mr. Redd was employed by the company to do miscellaneous tasks. That's the company sign next to the truck in that picture you couldn't enlarge. If you look closely, you can see a tiny two-way radio antenna on top of the cab, along with the tool box painted to match. When the truck was paid off (36 months) the title was transferred to Mr. Redd who passed the following year. The company owner was attached to the truck because his dad had used it, so it remained in the fleet and was used as a spare and for various duties. In 2005, it was parked outside in the company yard facing west and was not driven again. I joined the company in 1992 and remember walking past it a hundred times. I eventually became the president of the company and after finally making plans to retire at the beginning of 2019, in mid 2018 I asked the owner if he would sell me his dads old truck for me to work on in my retirement. He told me that he had just been thinking of having it hauled off to the junk yard and that he would be honored if I would take the truck. The title had the company and his dad's name on it and was sold to me for $100. It showed 52,737 miles on the odometer and still had the build sheet partly stuck to the wheel well under the hood. After the wasps were killed, a fresh battery was put in, gas was was poured into the q-jet and it fired right up. And that's how the fun journey began. That's the owner and yours truly, the old fart in shorts, in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 24

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Great stuff! It's awesome you got that truck!

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, there’s so much more to the story because of all of the people I was around in my 27 year tenure, who were connected to the truck. Even the way that old picture surfaced and came to me. I am very lucky to have it and could probably write a book. I have kept everything as close to stock as possible and would never sell it. My oldest son knows the story and will end up with it when I’m gone. He and I have hauled many loads of dirt, mulch and grass for his yard. It’s really funny to watch the guys at the dirt yard, especially the one who loads the truck.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I don't know of any square's close by that I can look at so I'm appealing to you guys/gals. Does this look like the front bumper is positioned correctly? It looks to me like the gap behind the bumper is too large and that the bumper guards should be a little more vertical? I had my mechanic put it on a lift to readjust it and he said that the holes would have to be enlarged to re adjust the bumper. Your thoughts and thanks.
Looks OK to me.

J. B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
This is the original color combo. Truck is restored to 95% original and just turned 62k. Whenever I need to leave the house, this is my driver, rain or shine. The folks around here enjoy seeing it and let me know. A lot of fun!
Nice colors!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy