Freeze plugs into the block- how to remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I pulled this out of a truck I’m stripping and it appeared they were fixing freeze plugs but then gave up. Well we were going to replace the plugs when I discovered both passenger side plugs were driven into the blocks cooling channel. Any thoughts on removal techniques? Internet search says it’s common to find plugs in blocks by rebuilding shops and it won’t affect anything?

Attachments

• IMG_5331.jpeg
    IMG_5331.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 32

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
This ^^^ Also after you grab them with the Vise-grips, lean it to the side and pry it with a screw driver at the same time you pull with the grips. Once it turns in the hole, you can get a better grip. The freeze plug is a press fit so it needs a lot of pull to get it out.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Regular vice grip is the only way. Grab on that visible edge and roll it out of the hole.

Shops that leave them in there aren't worth your time. Of course every once in a great while you get a really hard one that just won't come out.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
The channel lock method is easy for me, I use a smaller one so I can keep ahold of it. The way the jaws are gives you some built in leverage against the block.

Now, try doing this when the engine is installed with all its accessories in place, and it's easy to see why someone would leave an old one behind. It won't hurt anything unless it being there keeps a new one from installing properly. That's been my experience in the real world with freeze plugs.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The channel lock method is easy for me, I use a smaller one so I can keep ahold of it. The way the jaws are gives you some built in leverage against the block.

Now, try doing this when the engine is installed with all its accessories in place, and it's easy to see why someone would leave an old one behind. It won't hurt anything unless it being there keeps a new one from installing properly. That's been my experience in the real world with freeze plugs.
Very true and I have done just that. Access and labor [customer cost] some circumstances old one stays. Doing jobs by the book in the real world are not always possible.

Channel locks work well by grabbing an edge and prying it out. Not saying a vice grip won't work just tossing out options. We always need options.

illmanners

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Been doing this for over 40 years.
Using a hammer and a punch, poke a hole in the freeze plug as close to the edge as possible (could also drill a hole in same location,) then use a seal puller to extract the freeze plug. Works with freeze plugs that are free (as in your picture,) or those that still have a seal to the block. (See video for more
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
)

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Dang right Perry, just what we did at the shop, course the block was out on the floor or on a bench.....

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I've latched on to them with vice grips or needle nose pliers and yanked.
That's just about the only way. You shouldn't leave them in, as they act sort of like a beaver dam and cause a big lump of scale to form around them, which causes a hot spot.

J. B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zcostilla