Fire out of top of carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eighty5ov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ov
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
It’s a Quadrajet, I replaced the needle and seat. Airhorn gasket. Now when I crank it up, it runs for 5 seconds and then shuts off and the next crank will shoot flame from the top of carb. Could I have put it together wrong? I took off power piston, float needle seat float assembly. Any help is appreciated, the engine ran great and was time. Didn’t touch distributor.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Check your timing. Trying advancing it a little bit.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Drop something into engine, piece of gasket under valve, crossed plug wires, very lean? Does it run smooth for those 5 seconds if not, check vacuum, broken valve spring, ect.
Even if there is excessive fuel it will need spark from somewhere. What else [if anything] was touched/done/ moved during the carb repair?

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the engine ran fine before you pulled the carb, then it is pretty certain to be something to do with the carb. Pull it and break it down.
It isn't hard to push the float out of adjustment, bind a spring, misalign the needle, etc, or yes, drop something into the intake. Without video or being there, it sounds like it may be dumping fuel.

Eighty5ov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ov
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
Drop something into engine, piece of gasket under valve, crossed plug wires, very lean? Does it run smooth for those 5 seconds if not, check vacuum, broken valve spring, ect.
Even if there is excessive fuel it will need spark from somewhere. What else [if anything] was touched/done/ moved during the carb repair?
I took off the top of the carb to get into the needle and seat. So power piston came off. The old gasket was torn apart. Accel pump off. Needle and seat. And the float assembly. Replaced the air horn gasket, needle and seat. Put everything back and tightened her up. Then it’ll start and run for about 5 seconds then die, and next crank I get flames out of top.

Eighty5ov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ov
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
If the engine ran fine before you pulled the carb, then it is pretty certain to be something to do with the carb. Pull it and break it down.
It isn't hard to push the float out of adjustment, bind a spring, misalign the needle, etc, or yes, drop something into the intake. Without video or being there, it sounds like it may be dumping fuel.
I’ll take it apart and see what’s up.

Eighty5ov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ov
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
I went over everything on the top end and found the carb mount bolts weren’t fully snug. Fired right up and running normal. But ran into another problem. Leak at fuel filter. Tightened it and it stripped. What would a guy suggest ?

racprops

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
G20 Van
Engine Size
How do you put out a fire in a carb?? Crank the engine with the coil disconnected, it will suck the flame out...after-all these are fire breathing engines...

Last question: a good carb shop may be able to put in a Heleocoil or retread it for a larger filter.

Rich

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Helicoil , You can do it. They do or did make oversize self tapping inlet fittings, its ghetto,but it's not my carb. Okay I think I'd try a Tomco 471 fuel inlet. No tapping UT seals with 2 Owings and compression. It's less than a helicoil kit and more DIY friendly

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-19_011652.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-19_011652.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outrageous