Drop In Voltage from Windows and AC on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmcgowan70

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
I need some help figuring this out if anyone has suggestions.

I took out my dash to fresher it up, replace the radio and dash speakers. During the reinstall I noticed when It was running, with the AC on, the windows would work intermittently. Either they all will go up and not down or just the driver front and rear would work or some times none of them would go up or down. It only affects the passenger side windows.

There is a drop in voltage when I press the switched on the drivers door. Down to almost 8 according to the gauge in the dash.

It did not do it before so I know I have knocked something loose just not sure where to look exactly. Radio is also not in.

The ground behind the dash looks clean and the wires were secured on it.

I just have no idea what to do from here.

Attachments

• IMG_6890.jpeg
    IMG_6890.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 5

slammed84

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If it were me, I would be running the power windows through some relays. They would probably work much better, and put less strain on the electrical system in the long run. Sounds like worn out motors/ tracks/regulators are stacking up and pulling a lot of current when you try to operate them. A relay (triggered by your window switch) will allow full battery power to the motors and bypass the factory switch wiring.

mmcgowan70

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
I’ll look into the relays. It’s something that kept popping up on my searches

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I had similar symptoms when my alternator was going bad. With lights and blower on it would drop down to about nine volts at idle, but went to about 12-13 volts when I turned them off. Swapped in a rebuilt 12si 94 amp alternator and it fixed the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88slvrpony