Dome light went cross-eyed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There have been times, while driving at night, when she needed the dome light on as.
And it was either in my old 73 Audi or one of our Accords, that we had a dome light on each side. One for driver and one for passenger. I think there was one for the backsest as well.
That brings us back to a single dome light in the truck and it is lacking in effectiveness.
Honestly, if she needs a decent light, the camera that seconds as a phone works better.
Well, I wanted a better light and I had been kicking around ideas on what I wanted. LEDs for sure but it's hard to find ones thst are not annoying in color and their "buzz". Yes, I can see that annoying buzz that LEDs do.
I found a company that makes LEDs for automotive and marine applications and I have ordered from them before. Service is great and quality is top notch.
So I cut some cardboard templets and sketched out a few ideas. And then set the whole thing aside for a few weeks. Other things just got in the way. In cleaning out some junk, I came across an old housing that was the base for a 3D scanner. The university had it and they were tossing it out. I wanted to get it working, the manufacturer wanted to justsell me a new one. Out came the screwdriver and the dismantling proceeded.
Anywho, the box that housed the electronics was made of fancy aluminum extrusions. Sometimes it's hard to throw away perfectly good junk. Ya know?...
Well, this one extruded piece look real close to the curve the dome light sets in and looks like a really good start.
Lay out some lines and grab the saw. Square up the edges and check the curve. It needs a touch more curve put into it and a couple minutes at the press makes it almost perfect.
I wanted this light to be pointing toward driver and passenger side and either one can be turned on or off by a switch dedicated to the light for that side. I had determined the angle for each side and made a set of angular bushings for each light. Drilled a few holes for the lights, switches and mounting screws (original).
Assembled everything and wired it up. Plugged it in and it works as it should. Hot dog!

Attachments

• 20240801_132526.jpg
    20240801_132526.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240801_132534.jpg
    20240801_132534.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240801_214253.jpg
    20240801_214253.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240801_214220.jpg
    20240801_214220.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 28

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Second set

Attachments

• 20240802_123750.jpg
    20240802_123750.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240802_160858.jpg
    20240802_160858.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240802_160929.jpg
    20240802_160929.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240802_160944.jpg
    20240802_160944.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 32

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's why I date the ugly ones. It's easier to keep em in the dark.

My solution was to install a rearview mirror from a 2001 Silverado. It has built in lights that are adjustable, thermometer, compass and best of all, it's self dimming.
And for the rear, Sylvania makes an led that's pure white (5k) and sold in AutoZone. Been flawless for many years now.
I do applaud your ingenuity and craftsmanship.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Define "tad". If I sh*t my pants a "tad", that really doesn't tell the whole story.
Tad: it takes about 2 1/2 "dabs" to make a tad.
5 tads makes a skoosh.
12 skoosks make a passle.
And a Goo-goble is more than can be defined.

I bet you thought I couldn't do that, didn't ya?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Tad: it takes about 2 1/2 "dabs" to make a tad.
5 tads makes a skoosh.
12 skoosks make a passle.
And a Goo-goble is more than can be defined.

I bet you thought I couldn't do that, didn't ya?
Nice. Are you Amish by chance?

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oznium.com
I just realized I had not mentioned the name.
And strange, nobody asked.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
That's why I date the ugly ones. It's easier to keep em in the dark.

My solution was to install a rearview mirror from a 2001 Silverado. It has built in lights that are adjustable, thermometer, compass and best of all, it's self dimming.
And for the rear, Sylvania makes an led that's pure white (5k) and sold in AutoZone. Been flawless for many years now.
I do applaud your ingenuity and craftsmanship.
Mike, gotta pic of that setup??

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mike, gotta pic of that setup??

Post 14

Broken85

Reaction score
First Name
A
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There have been times, while driving at night, when she needed the dome light on as.
And it was either in my old 73 Audi or one of our Accords, that we had a dome light on each side. One for driver and one for passenger. I think there was one for the backsest as well.
That brings us back to a single dome light in the truck and it is lacking in effectiveness.
Honestly, if she needs a decent light, the camera that seconds as a phone works better.
Well, I wanted a better light and I had been kicking around ideas on what I wanted. LEDs for sure but it's hard to find ones thst are not annoying in color and their "buzz". Yes, I can see that annoying buzz that LEDs do.
I found a company that makes LEDs for automotive and marine applications and I have ordered from them before. Service is great and quality is top notch.
So I cut some cardboard templets and sketched out a few ideas. And then set the whole thing aside for a few weeks. Other things just got in the way. In cleaning out some junk, I came across an old housing that was the base for a 3D scanner. The university had it and they were tossing it out. I wanted to get it working, the manufacturer wanted to justsell me a new one. Out came the screwdriver and the dismantling proceeded.
Anywho, the box that housed the electronics was made of fancy aluminum extrusions. Sometimes it's hard to throw away perfectly good junk. Ya know?...
Well, this one extruded piece look real close to the curve the dome light sets in and looks like a really good start.
Lay out some lines and grab the saw. Square up the edges and check the curve. It needs a touch more curve put into it and a couple minutes at the press makes it almost perfect.
I wanted this light to be pointing toward driver and passenger side and either one can be turned on or off by a switch dedicated to the light for that side. I had determined the angle for each side and made a set of angular bushings for each light. Drilled a few holes for the lights, switches and mounting screws (original).
Assembled everything and wired it up. Plugged it in and it works as it should. Hot dog!
Well done! LMC does sell an LED upgrade cabin light, but if you go for it know, it is not plug and play. You are going to have to cut the roof to make it fit. Also, found out this weekend the dome light is on the fuse for the horn. The light under the dash is a separate circuit on the courtesy lights. I never thought the two interior lights would be separate circuits

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I did what @SquareRoot did, lighted rearview mirror. No other extras, just the lights. On with the dome or each side with individual switches. Shotgun rider needs to see to roll....

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well done! LMC does sell an LED upgrade cabin light, but if you go for it know, it is not plug and play. You are going to have to cut the roof to make it fit. Also, found out this weekend the dome light is on the fuse for the horn. The light under the dash is a separate circuit on the courtesy lights. I never thought the two interior lights would be separate circuits
Holy smokes.!..cut the roof..? I have no fancy headliner in which to conceal a blunder...lol
(I never blunder...I only readjust the goal)
And different fuses??
That's interesting. Iwonder how that's done? Because the lights come on when the ground is made. Interrupt the ground- lights out.
I gotta find my schematic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy