Child Seat Anchors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello everyone. I haven't posted in a long time. A few years ago I restored a 77 K10 for my daughter's wedding present (see detailed thread). My daughter and son in law have a little one now, but cannot take her along for rides because her car seat will not belt into the bench seat. Has anyone retrofitted a set of the newer 'latch-style' lower anchors to one of these bench seats? I am thinking of dissembling the seats and welding in a set of latch anchors to the frame.

Also, since I will have the seat completely dissembled, I am considering changing the foam. I purchased new foam when I restored the truck. I cannot recall where I purchased it, need to find the receipt. But that foam is hard as a rock. It makes riding in the truck really unpleasant. Its like riding on a solid board. What vendors do you have experience with that is closer to stock stiffness?

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure of a way to retroactively add the lower seat anchors like that. Shouldn't be a huge issue though. Most car seats have a way to be used just with a standard shoulder belt. I have two different car seat models myself and both have clear instructions on how to use them with shoulder belts.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I suppose someone could add anchor brackets that use the seat or seat belt bolts. That way you can keep your existing seat.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure of a way to retroactively add the lower seat anchors like that. Shouldn't be a huge issue though. Most car seats have a way to be used just with a standard shoulder belt. I have two different car seat models myself and both have clear instructions on how to use them with shoulder belts.

Yes, I know. But the combination of the specific car seat they have, together with the factory belts, just will not work together. Plus, getting the seat (and child, still rearward facing) in and out when secured with the belt is a real pain. I use the belt to secure the child seat in the back seat of my 72 Buick GS convertible when my granddaughter is over and we go for a cruise.

If I can find a way to fabricate and weld in a set of the newer latch-style anchors it will make it so much easier.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Interesting what a Google search brings up. Looks like this replacement part for a Peugeot 307 might be the start of a retrofit project.

You must be registered for see images attach

kapitein

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I was just going to post, here in Europe they sell aftermarket kits to retrofit to most vehicles.

Maybe you can order something generic looking and make it work:

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Buckle her up!
No seriously, I'm visualizing the child seat going between the adults on the bench seat, is that correct? Floor mounts could be welded in fairly easily, also in the back of the cab in the double walled area below the window.

You must be registered for see images attach

Muddybuddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
would probably be easier to fab up mounts and install a modern/late model seat. That way you dont destroy the factory seat you restored, you get modern comfort (since seems seat foam is an issue anyways and is uncomfortable). After child out grows, you can swap out seat back to the original. Im planning to swap out clean factory seat belts in my k5 for a modern set, 1 to keep the factory ones from getting destroyed from the seat belt, but also for safety.

My son is 3 now, and when he was infant the infant car seat preferred method was the anchors. But since turning 2 (based on weight) his toddler car seats preferred install method is with via seat belt not anchors.

Just some food for thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo