Cheap defective aftermarket parts….lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
So’s I come home last night, walking thru the garage that I’d just cleaned the floors in couple days ago. So no errant oil drips; stains etc on the floor. Office a new puddle under ole brown.
Sure nough the aftermarket auxiliary fuel tank circa 1970s is leaking just a tad. Coincidentally I also just filled er plumb full of 22 gal of gas!
Pinhole leak in a weld on the heavy steel tank. No rust, coated in zeibart, just a pinhole re appeared. Found evidence of previous JB weld and yellow crayon marker (probably why it didn’t stick as well…)
Can’t believe this cheap junk these days! Lol
At least it’s in an easily accessible spot and a defect, not rust or something else.
You must be registered for see images attach

However my real question is….how probable or possible is it that one of those big glass pack mufflers could have a baffle or brace come loose inside it?
Drivers side exhaust has a nasty rattle that is rpm dependent and it’s coming from the muffler. Just one muffler. Everything is fresh, tightened, not hitting anything and re-tightened.
It rattles when you kick it once it’s hot. Not so much when cold.
Seems like it’ll be a tough explanation to the supplier …

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Had a muffler do that last year. Was a cheap Thrush. I've got a pair of 40s from around 2009 low miles and one side doesn't sound as good as the other lol, Not in a rattle way tho. One side sounds more muffled or fluff fluff. I think passenger side has richer sound at idle. Only noticed it at idle of course. I don't think it's my Engine but I think it's the muffler.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
These days, I'd say it's fairly likely that's the case unfortunately. Just last week my coworker was talking about something giving him fits on his Austin Healey 3000 and as he talked through it, I landed on one particular part I felt was the culprit (can't remember now what the details were). He swore up and down it can't be cuz he'd JUST replaced it a week or two back and hadn't run the car much (it's still a work in progress). Sure enough, a couple days later he told me I was right. Part failed after just a handful of uses.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
And to be clear, I was being sarcastic and not serious or frustrated.
The old aux fuel tank, hell, that pinhole coulda been there for 40 years and just patched up a couple times. No biggie, other than having to siphon out 20 gal of gas last night…lol. Fortunately that’s easy on an old straight thru fuel filler neck!

And the muffler, called Pertronix this morning and the tech was very accommodating and I have a new muffler on the way. Great warranty service!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Had a muffler do that last year. Was a cheap Thrush. I've got a pair of 40s from around 2009 low miles and one side doesn't sound as good as the other lol, Not in a rattle way tho. One side sounds more muffled or fluff fluff. I think passenger side has richer sound at idle. Only noticed it at idle of course. I don't think it's my Engine but I think it's the muffler.
Could very well be. And the rattling may be next.
Blue truck had old Flowmaster 40s on it. Exhaust all looked clean and not rusted. But it was from the late 90s. Once we drove it a bunch after restoring, first one muffler sounded weird (side exit exh so easy to compare), a little more muffled. Then they both started rattling. Then they both unzipped. They had rotted from the inside out. Not bad since they were stamped 1998 mfg date.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Here's an old story from early 90s my friend was a line mechanic at a gm dealership and replaced the icm 13 times, 12 bad and 1 good, all GM. According the book it was bad and so were all the new ones he got till finally got a good one. I think he was testing the modules before putting them in or something like that and the in house parts guy was pissed about all the returns and ordering lol. Crazy thinking about the odds of all those bad modules ?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So’s I come home last night, walking thru the garage that I’d just cleaned the floors in couple days ago. So no errant oil drips; stains etc on the floor. Office a new puddle under ole brown.
Sure nough the aftermarket auxiliary fuel tank circa 1970s is leaking just a tad. Coincidentally I also just filled er plumb full of 22 gal of gas!
Pinhole leak in a weld on the heavy steel tank. No rust, coated in zeibart, just a pinhole re appeared. Found evidence of previous JB weld and yellow crayon marker (probably why it didn’t stick as well…)
At least it’s in an easily accessible spot and a defect, not rust or something else.

However my real question is….how probable or possible is it that one of those big glass pack mufflers could have a baffle or brace come loose inside it?
Drivers side exhaust has a nasty rattle that is rpm dependent and it’s coming from the muffler. Just one muffler. Everything is fresh, tightened, not hitting anything and re-tightened.
‘Ole Brown sure is looking good, if you ever want to sell those wheels, let me know. About the time I finally thought about buying and had come to grips with the cost, all the wheels with backspacing for a non-narrowed rear end were long gone.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here's an old story from early 90s my friend was a line mechanic at a gm dealership and replaced the icm 13 times, 12 bad and 1 good, all GM. According the book it was bad and so were all the new ones he got till finally got a good one. I think he was testing the modules before putting them in or something like that and the in house parts guy was pissed about all the returns and ordering lol. Crazy thinking about the odds of all those bad modules ?
My neighbor about 20 yrs ago had a 77 Vette that winked (one of the popup headlamps wouldnt work). He narrowed it down to a solenoid of some sort - went to the dealer for a new one. Didn't work so he took it back. 3 trips and 3 bad parts later, the parts guy hands him a case of them and says 'find a good one and bring me back the rest'.

The race to the bottom marches on.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
‘Ole Brown sure is looking good, if you ever want to sell those wheels, let me know. About the time I finally thought about buying and had come to grips with the cost, all the wheels with backspacing for a non-narrowed rear end were long gone.
Thanks! I’m keeping them. Best lookin “cheap” wheels I ever bought. And they really match the truck and paint colors imo.
They’re not all gone. I didn’t get the exact width and offset I wanted for the rear wheels and would have preferred the gold w machined lip, but for $150 a piece it’s hard to complain. You can’t hardly buy a stamped steel wheel new for $150…
Both are 20x8.5. Front is 5.25bs with 255/45s and probably could have gone with less especially considering the future drop spindles I’m planning to use will narrow it up the front a tad more. Rear is 4.5bs with 275/45s. Just a subtle staggered setup.
Holley still has the same selection as when I bought in June. And Jegs I think has the 20x10s in gold with non narrowed bs but they want full retail price.
And if you go 19/20” staggered or 19” f and r that opens up a couple more options.
But they are discontinued as you know so better get on it! Lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Funny story, when I saw the leak on the tank it was coming off the drain plug. Aftermarket tank w/ drain plug. Very thoughtful.
I thought what are the odds that the day before I had to weld up a heavy duty 9/16 Allen wrench out of a 3/8 grade 8 bolt and nut to put
1000ft lbs or whatever a Milwaukee 1/2” cordless impact puts out, to loosen the rear diff drain plug on a “new” 2017 Ram….and now a 40 year old drain plug is loose?
Unfortunately it wasn’t loose and there’s a pinhole in the weld just above it.

vintovka

Reaction score
First Name
vin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Couple months ago we noticed our filter looked odd. On closer inspection the cartridge had detached from the metal inlet side allowing all the debris to pass and partially blocking the outlet. This common chinese made filter was supplied by Edelbrock with a new 1416 carb. I have since seen a dozen or more of these fail especially when using ethanol gas.

Attachments

• 20231103_145052.jpg
    20231103_145052.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks! I’m keeping them. Best lookin “cheap” wheels I ever bought. And they really match the truck and paint colors imo.
They’re not all gone. I didn’t get the exact width and offset I wanted for the rear wheels and would have preferred the gold w machined lip, but for $150 a piece it’s hard to complain. You can’t hardly buy a stamped steel wheel new for $150…
Both are 20x8.5. Front is 5.25bs with 255/45s and probably could have gone with less especially considering the future drop spindles I’m planning to use will narrow it up the front a tad more. Rear is 4.5bs with 275/45s. Just a subtle staggered setup.
Holley still has the same selection as when I bought in June. And Jegs I think has the 20x10s in gold with non narrowed bs but they want full retail price.
And if you go 19/20” staggered or 19” f and r that opens up a couple more options.
But they are discontinued as you know so better get on it! Lol
I was just looking at Halibrands on Holley's site the other day. Locally, on CL, I've seen a bunch of new Halibrands listed for $800-1000 a set which I thought was a fair price, until I saw the same wheels clearanced on the site significantly less. I check Holley's clearance section every few months as I have picked up some parts for 20 cents on the dollar. I paid $5 for a pair of LED Park lights, $3 for Bonanza dash emblems, $10 for lower carpet panels for doors, etc. Great deals on there if you can use it

motoxrrar

Reaction score
First Name
robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Yeah most of the aftermarket stuff isn’t built well, cutting corners, cheap materials, not designed to last. I’ve pretty much gone off the rails and started just manufacturing my own things. Prototyping with 3d printers and then printing final designs.

Just can’t trust made in china. Our economy is so trash right now no one can afford quality stuff, which by the way doesn’t mean made in America anymore either. There’s plenty of made in America stuff with the same cheap Chinese cutting corners mentality.

Anything plastic now a days is junk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alocke07