Carb at high alt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Yeah, the factory cooling system is up to snuff, as long as everything is working properly.

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
My 454 with the factory style fan clutch and shroud runs down the highway all day long staying nice and cool, only time I start seeing the temp needle creep up is in traffic. It used to get REALLY hot until I realized someone had put the incorrect fan on (it was a factory correct fan but for an older engine with V belt instead of serpentine belt, so it was pushing air the wrong way). I replaced it and the clutch on the assumption that if they used the wrong direction fan they probably used the wrong direction clutch as well. I did have to switch to an alum. radiator because my original brass core one is leaking and no place around here does that kind of work anymore. My truck came with the factory auxillary electric fan that comes on when the temp comes up to around 180 and it does help - I thought about trying electric fans to stay cooler when stuck in traffic, but right now have more pressing issues to solve.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I live at 5800 feet, and drive up to the hills up to 10,000 all the time. Original cr*p carburetor, and it does fine.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I live at 5800 feet, and drive up to the hills up to 10,000 all the time. Original cr*p carburetor, and it does fine.
Original, does that mean quadrajet? The OP has an aftermarket carb.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Here is a thread of mine from a year ago.
I have a big new 4 core alum radiator, electric 2700cfm fans.
I’m guessing it’s always gonna run hot because I have a 383 with decent compression and a big lumpy cam.

Other than installing a semi truck radiator, I don’t think there is anything else I can do to improve this cooling system.
A simple low buck fix. Fab a spray bar for front top of the radiator core, simple pipe w/ small holes. Attach to a gallon or 2 water supply & divert your windshield washer pump or any 12v switch controlled pump. The gauge will drop in minutes.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
A simple low buck fix. Fab a spray bar for front top of the radiator core, simple pipe w/ small holes. Attach to a gallon or 2 water supply & divert your windshield washer pump or any 12v switch controlled pump. The gauge will drop in minutes.
I've actually contemplated doing this for in town with a/c on or for when wheeling trails

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Can you disable the fans while at road speed? An electric fan running at road speed can hurt airflow through the radiator more than when it is off.

jumpjets

Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Big updates:
I installed a mechanical fan and it works great!!
-summit racing 7 blade 19” steel fan
-Hayden severe duty clutch
-LMC 2 piece shroud for small block trucks
About $200 altogether.
AC is still cold. I’ve climbed several intense grades in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and never been above 169*. I climbed telescope peak in Death Valley, up to 8200’. It got up to 210 on that climb.

The carburetor is well behaved at high altitudes when it isn’t heat soaked. I just bumped up the idle slightly. No re-jetting required. It smells rich at hi alt, but that’s expected.

The past couple weekends I’ve been adventuring in the sierras and Death Valley.

Now that I have a proper adventure truck….i wish I’d spent the money on a TH700R4 instead of a TH350. I’m getting 6mpg on these long trips.

Thanks to everyone for helping me finish my trail truck!!!!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
That's great @jumpjets . Glad you got the cooling problem fixed and in turn a better performing carb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybamatrx