Can you believe this???!!! TC/NP208 Adapter/700R4 trans crossmember mounting/question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
‘83 K5/4WD/4” lift/SBC350/NP208/700R4 automatic: When I bought this K5 the trans/TC crossmember was mounted as shown in the photos. It had body bushings for spacers in between the NP208 adapter and transmission crossmember. It also had what looks like eyelets cut off of shocks as spacers to lower the crossmember. I have re-welded up the enlarged holes in the crossmember that held the body bushings in place and bought the proper adapter spacer mounts from ORD. I will soon be installing a new GM SP350 engine, the rebuilt 700R4 and rebuilt NP208 TC. So, my questions are, what is the proper height that the adapter should be, should there be spacers between the crossmember and the frame (if so, where do I get them and how long should they be), should there be any rubber pads (isolators) between the frame and crossmember, and how do I line up the adapter side to side in order to ensure the trans and TC are properly aligned up and down and side to side? Thanks y’all!

Attachments

• IMG_9737.jpeg
    IMG_9737.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9736.jpeg
    IMG_9736.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9738.jpeg
    IMG_9738.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 34

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am not an expert, I'm pretty sure you need to have the angles of the pinion and transfer case output cancel each other out. Maybe check the google machine.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The crossmember bolts flat to the bottom of the frame, there should be some spacers on the TOP of the frame for the proper length bolts.. don’t sweat that though if you don’t have them. The third pic shows the proper adapter mounts, you have the rubber portions on the bottom also correct?
Leave everything loose until you get ready to drop the motor in including the motor mounts on the frame, you will need it to get everything lined up and bolted together.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
My $0.01 is to install a slip yoke eliminator on the transfer case and get a double cardan driveshaft. Just to avoid the whole vibration and slip yoke seal leaking thing that usually goes with lifted short wheel base.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I just wanted to provide a follow up to this post. I have called multiple reputable 4WD specialty companies around the country and was told that SLE’s are no longer manufactured for NP208 transfer cases. I was also informed that with a 4” lift that with the proper aftermarket ORD adapter mounts and otherwise production configuration further modifications probably aren’t required even with the 4” suspension lift however it is recommended or may need a custom rear driveshaft with a double cardan joint/slip yoke built but won’t know until I install the new engine/trans/transfer case and driveshafts in order to measure the pinion angles of which I’m working on now but ran into another problem that I may ask for additional help with in a new post. Thanks everyone and sorry to be a PITA. I try very hard to do my own due diligence before bothering you guys. So, thanks for hanging in there with me while I go through this restoration process that I’m close to finishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually