C20 - Trailering vs. Camper Special

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have only seen the 11,000 GVW rating on a C30 or K30, and I think it was a 4 door crew cab. Someone has done some swapping of something if your truck is only a heavy half.

Based on the hub caps, you do not seem to have 8 lug wheels or a 14 bolt rear axle, so it’s only a half ton. Maybe they just added the HD rear springs to a half ton. The Trailer Special badges probably came from some other truck.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
HI Keith. Do you know where I could get the CGWR for my 83 C20? I do not have a SPID label. It is a long bed regular cab 2WD 4:10 rear axle with SM465 manual 4 Speed with 454 engine. It is a camper special but does not have any of the extra brackets described above. The previous owner used it with a slide in truck camper. Thanks.
This is a little hard to read (but I had it handy) and it is for an '85, but would indicate GCWR = 15,500 lbs.

K
You must be registered for see images attach

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Been a member for a long time but have never posted anything. This is on my 1979. It’s a C10 Silverado that carries the “big 10” badges on the bed. It also has 10 rear leaf springs. So I think it was considered a “heavy half”? I’m the second owner and I knew the family that bought it new. I’ve kept it all original so these are the badges that came on it. Not sure if it helps you out any?
The Big 10 was the Chevy heavy half (a GMC would have "Heavy Half" where yours says Big 10). It basically got the larger brake option and heavier duty springs/trans cooler/etc to up the GVWR past the emissions requirement weight (6000lbs IIRC?). That Trailering Special badge was likely added by someone in the past, those were never on half tons as far as I'm aware. Keith could confirm but I highly doubt there were any half tonners rated for 11k lbs

rawhide

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 Trailering Speical
Engine Size
350 CID
I agree, 11K GVWR is a bit much for a 1/2 ton (lol). Petty sure it won't tote that much weight. I think you're right about the emissions requirements. I got home and looked and I was wrong on the spring pack. Instead of 10 like I previously posted, it only has 8. It does have 5 lug axles. I took a pic of the SPID in the glovebox. Thanks for all the great info.

Attachments

• IMG_5936.jpeg
    IMG_5936.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5937.jpeg
    IMG_5937.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 11

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree, 11K GVWR is a bit much for a 1/2 ton (lol). Petty sure it won't tote that much weight. I think you're right about the emissions requirements. I got home and looked and I was wrong on the spring pack. Instead of 10 like I previously posted, it only has 8. It does have 5 lug axles. I took a pic of the SPID in the glovebox. Thanks for all the great info.

That's a pretty cool optioned rig!

I think those emblems are original. The Trailering Special option is clearly on your SPID and the emblems state 11k gross combined weight, not gross vehicle weight. Combined weight would be the weight of the truck and trailer too.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Yup, mine is Z83. Has the fancy pants cab to camper system. I'll get pics tomorrow or Wednesday, I have to move a bunch of stuff to access.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yup, mine is Z83. Has the fancy pants cab to camper system. I'll get pics tomorrow or Wednesday, I have to move a bunch of stuff to access.

Mine is just the Z81. I'm pretty sure the original owner got that option just for the springs and gears and such. The camper harness has never been utilized.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Been a member for a long time but have never posted anything. This is on my 1979. It’s a C10 Silverado that carries the “big 10” badges on the bed. It also has 10 rear leaf springs. So I think it was considered a “heavy half”? I’m the second owner and I knew the family that bought it new. I’ve kept it all original so these are the badges that came on it. Not sure if it helps you out any?
Sweet setup dude!
My BIG10 carried a truck camper its whole life. Until I bought it. I need to get a picture of it with the camper on it from him.
Tough little trucks!
I bet trailering special is probably just deeper gears and what used to be rare, factory trailer hitch and lights. Woukda been cool if trailering special meant big block. Or at least a 400. Mine is a high geared 1 wheeler peeler.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Hello,

I have a 1982 c20 and I'm not sure if it's a Trailering or Camper Special.

Forgive my ignorance but can any tell me the difference from the two and how I can find out which one I have?

-Thank You
If you can’t actually figure it out, it kinda doesn’t matter. It either has the heavy gvw brakes and springs or the regular, but realistically it’ll haul the same weight and how well it will tow depends about solely on the gears given a stock 350.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's a dim view of what Z83 looks like in real life. I can't clear the bed for a better shot today but it gives you an idea. The holes in the sheet metal look kinda hinky, like it was done at the dealer level perhaps, because I would expect better craftsmanship from the plant in CA.

You can see through the giant hole how the cab mount has broken down on that corner. You can see the entire bracket there. The shocks have ball stud mounts much like the lift assist shocks on the canopies has.

Passenger side is missing the shock and a better view of bracket centering.

Hard to see the cab bracket, but that's the side view

There could be more parts to it I am not recognizing, but if so, it's not here. The tie downs look sort of dealer add-on too, but there are others on the site that would know for sure. Both sides, front and back.

Those tie in to the crossmembers of the bed via a bracket. The holes in the sheet metal are near perfect for the brackets.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You've got the original California tailpipe too. Is there a screen in the outlet?
@Radiohead

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol, maybe. Its dark and I will go look tomorrow. The exhaust is a goofy cannibalism affair with weirdness to it. Only a picture can do that statement justice. You'll understand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nutasi