C20 Camper Special 454 Engine Starter Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

entrscrnnm

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet C20
Engine Size
Help is need in wiring the starter for a C20 454 engine. I understand the purple wire goes to the S terminal and the yellow wire go to the R terminal and the large red wire goes to the large lug terminal. I also have another red wire which runs directly back to an electrical junction box on the firewall. I'm not sure where it connects on the starter end or if it actually is suppose to go there or somewhere else. I also have a black wire that traces back to the dash gauge plug in. The wiring diagram if I'm reading it right states it's a ground. I'm thinking that on the starter end it gets connected to the ground lug on the starter. Please advise. I guess its possible that neither the 2nd red wire or the black wire gets connected to the starter. If that's the case then I have no idea where they get connected. I know. I should have made note when I pulled the old starter off.

Attachments

• New Starter.JPG
    New Starter.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 17
  • wires.JPG
    wires.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 17
  • also firewall.JPG
    also firewall.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 17
  • firewall.JPG
    firewall.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 17

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The wire that goes to the junction block goes to the same lug as the battery cable. Looks to me like you have too many little eyelets and not enough big eyelets. Who crimped on all those terminals. IDk what year your truck is so I can't be more help. You probably should have 2 fusible links going to the large lug at the solenoid depending on year nothing to the r terminal, probably a purple to engage the solenoid. Pull up a wiring schematic for your year and model.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, what year? Does this rig have a points ignition?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nevermind, I see in your info that it's a '74. So the yellow wire going to the "R" terminal should be correct. Unless an HEI distributor has been installed, then you don't need it.

What size eyelet is on the little red wire? I can't tell. Does it fit on the large stud?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If it’s like mine, the gunk will not come off. It’s like the steering wheel plastic is oozing out some type of goo and making it sticky.

I added a lace-on steering wheel cover so I wouldn’t get the goo on my hands, and have ignored the spokes and horn button. Cleaning did not seem to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
10ptBUck