Best Locker for 14Bolt FF in 85 K30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WyoK30

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Looking for input and pros and cons. I want to put a locker in my K30 14 B FF, and I dont know mutch about them other than to avoid the "GovBomb" Thanks in advance

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So here's the deal on the Full Float carrier. It's a split carrier with spider gears inside it. Now if you have the Gov Bomb carrier now, then you're jacked and will have to swap out the whole carrier with an open diff.

With the open diff on a Full Floater 14b, as said, being a split carrier, you can open it up and replace it with a Detroit Locker which one of the bigger famous name brands. My point being, since it's a split carrier that you open up and replace the spiders, in this case, even the Detroit Locker works as a "lunchbox locker". I don't know that there is a bad lunchbox locker for a 14b full float axle since they are all just about the same whehter you get a Detroit Locker, a Lock Right, a Spartan locker or some Grizzly locker whatever it is. But there is several of them now days. I personally would just Google Locker for 14 bolt Full Float and then choose one based on price and reviews. Detroit Locker is good, and I think you'll pay more just for the name, but as said, due the FF carrier design, they are all about the same. I know for a fact Lock Right is made by Richmond Gear or their parent company and we always used Richmond Gear back in the race days cuz it was always good stuff at budger prices and street racing wasn't cheap. PowerTrax Lock Right is the name. Heres is an example of the Yukon Grizzly at Amazon for $415. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078UBMZM/ Link Included. PowerTrax LockRight at Rocky Road Outfitters for $411. Now make sure those are the correct ones for the correct axles and all, these are just examples, I didn't do any research. https://rocky-road.com/shop/gm-14-bolt-lockright-locker-1955/ Link Inluded.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's the correct one, here' the PowerTrax LockRight 1955-LR for $238 for the 14b 10.5in 30 spline axle. for $238 at Amazon. That should be the right one, but I guess you use the same cross bars that are currently in use with your spider gears if it's an open diff, since they do not seem to be included here. See if you read over an install guide or something to make sure it'll work, but $238 is a fantastic price to convert your 14B FF to a Locker. Comes with 2 year 100,000 mile warranty. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JBV9RK/ <<< Link Included

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hated my Detroit locker so bad I gave it away and went to an open carrier until I can afford an ARB. I effed around and found out. Disclaimer: I only hated it the 100% of the time I was on pavement. Off road, it was decent. Would have been great if I had an auto trans. With manuals, not so much.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I know I've hated on the GovLoc a bunch in the past, but it's really not a bad unit in the 14ff.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I hated my Detroit locker so bad I gave it away and went to an open carrier until I can afford an ARB. I effed around and found out. Disclaimer: I only hated it the 100% of the time I was on pavement. Off road, it was decent. Would have been great if I had an auto trans. With manuals, not so much.

Did you actually give it away? I would have been a happy bottom-feeder in that case :rofl:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have a Yukon Grizzly locker in mine. Like bucket said, you really can't go wrong with any of them. I drive mine a lot on the street, gravel logging roads, and some mild offroading and the Yukon has been pretty good. I don't get a ratcheting noise at all, but I do get a bit of wheel skidding in very tight turns on pavement. It's not a big deal at all. I only got the yukon because someone had a brand new in-box unit with a richmond rebuild kit available locally for $200, but I don't have any regrets about installing it.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I ran a Detroit Locker in my old K10 and later moved it to my crew cab, I loved it. I'd buy another one.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you actually give it away? I would have been a happy bottom-feeder in that case :rofl:
CL for $50. A guy called me 15 minutes later and wanted it so bad he drove 150 miles from Phoenix that night after work to get it. I was like damn, I should have asked $55. lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
CL for $50. A guy called me 15 minutes later and wanted it so bad he drove 150 miles from Phoenix that night after work to get it. I was like damn, I should have asked $55. lol

Damn! I can't say that guy stole it from you, because you knew what it was and just wanted it gone, lol.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
The Gov Loc for 14b ff is not a bad unit. Like someone mentioned above, I did not care for either the Lock Right or Detriot Locker’s manners on the street. So much so, I replaced with a new Gov Loc unit. The money I had trying the 2 others was the same as the new Gov Loc from Eaton

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yellow eyed Andi