Bed swap issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I'm serious. This is an area I know nothing about. I thought all long beds would be the same so it didn't matter what got bolted to them. I did not know chassis cabs were different. Geez, so judgemental. Lol
Apologies then, I misinterpreted your questions as not serious.
Something that helps me is to look up terminology I may not be familiar with. I do it often and incorrectly in this case assumed the same.
C&C trucks, universally across years, mfgs and product lines differ from their pickup truck counterparts in the case of 1 ton or class 3 trucks in that pickups have a profiled frame to increase frame clearance over the axle to get a lower bed floor height (and match the bodies being produced for the lighter pickup truck classes, less tooling reqd among other things). C&C trucks generally always have a straight frame and afaik all are still channel frame members not boxed or hydro formed to allow for all the different types of beds or attachments to be sort of universally fit on all trucks. Frame rail widths are also standardized. And axles generally a bit narrower as they don’t need to stuff 2 wheels outside the fender wells of a pickup. Some are similar wheelbase to a long bed pickup. But measured in cab to axle as that’s how all the accessory beds are measured. Flat beds, service bodies, dump beds etc.
Takeaway is can’t just slap a pickup bed on a C&C truck without modifications.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Apologies then, I misinterpreted your questions as not serious.
Something that helps me is to look up terminology I may not be familiar with. I do it often and incorrectly in this case assumed the same.
C&C trucks, universally across years, mfgs and product lines differ from their pickup truck counterparts in the case of 1 ton or class 3 trucks in that pickups have a profiled frame to increase frame clearance over the axle to get a lower bed floor height (and match the bodies being produced for the lighter pickup truck classes, less tooling reqd among other things). C&C trucks generally always have a straight frame and afaik all are still channel frame members not boxed or hydro formed to allow for all the different types of beds or attachments to be sort of universally fit on all trucks. Frame rail widths are also standardized. And axles generally a bit narrower as they don’t need to stuff 2 wheels outside the fender wells of a pickup. Some are similar wheelbase to a long bed pickup. But measured in cab to axle as that’s how all the accessory beds are measured. Flat beds, service bodies, dump beds etc.
Takeaway is can’t just slap a pickup bed on a C&C truck without modifications.
That I did not know. Picturing it my mind , it makes sense. I learnt me sumthin today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1985_c10