Are OE lug studs long enough? 77 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
So got some new kicks for the brown truck.
Good news is found out the truck has all new lug studs front and back! Bout the only pleasant vehicular surprise lately… see rant thread.
Son tried to mount one up when he picked up the wheels from the tire shop, said the threads sticking out of the new aluminum wheels looked shy.
I haven’t had time to pull a wheel yet, since I was over putting the Camaro on a lift tonight to assess the damage thanks to a IFO, identified flying object that some a hole lost off the roof of his car a half second before my older son ran it over at 60mph….been gone for work since Mon morning and leaving again til Sunday.
But I popped a lug nut off and it appears that way.
The new wheelz are about 5/8” thick to the bottom of the lug nut cone.
I know there are a lot of old C10s running around with aluminum wheels. What’s the chance I can keep my shiny new lugs and replacing a simple set of wheels doesn’t involve me spending a day putting all new lugs on the truck?
If I need to order longer lugs, I’d like to get em on order now so I can have them for next week. Can’t remove wheels to check, when I’m not in the same county or state as the truck!
Pics for attention lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
General rule of thumb with fasteners, is that they should have engagement depth at least equal to diameter. So a 9/16 stud should be engaged 9/16”. I can’t say for sure off the top, but I believe I remember them being 9/16-18.

If that’s the case, you’ll want a minimum of 10-1/8 turns once the threads start to engage. 9/16*18=10.125

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
General rule of thumb with fasteners, is that they should have engagement depth at least equal to diameter. So a 9/16 stud should be engaged 9/16”. I can’t say for sure off the top, but I believe I remember them being 9/16-18.

If that’s the case, you’ll want a minimum of 10-1/8 turns once the threads start to engage. 9/16*18=10.125
Yes thank you. And you’re absolutely correct. Full tensile strength of a threaded fastener generally is enough threads equal to the diameter of the bolt. So yeah 1/2-20 lugs on a half ton should engage 1/2”.
That said, real world, I’ve gotten by with less than a full thread on lugs before. And yield strength or full clamping force on a 1/2” hardened bolt is around 12-13klbs. Times 5 is 60klbs per wheel.
Calculating the max tensile stress able to be applied to a set of lugs, side loading a wheel, before a tire breaks traction even under the best possible traction scenario is a heck of a lot less than 60klbs. And the relationship of # of threads engaged to tensile capacity is basically linear.
And being fine thread, even half engagement, 1/4” or 5 + threads seems to be enough to prevent vibrations and such from causing them to back out imo.
Hoping I can get at least 50% thread.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can't see the lugnut holes in your pic very good but you might need the extended thread/shank lugnuts for those.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I can't see the lugnut holes in your pic very good but you might need the extended thread/shank lugnuts for those.

Didn't know about these. I might need to get some for the C20 eventually

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350

THAT is the ticket!
I had no idea those existed.
Just measure the ID of the thru holes in the rims and they’re about 0.69” and the extensions are 0.61” OD.
Thank you! You just solved that issue definitively.

They’re ordered. Fwiw Lug nut guys had best price and shipping date compared to Scamazon and Summit Racing.
Only $2.50 for shipping. Woulda been free if over $35. For future reference for anyone.

Last edited:

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Appreciate it. I think they’ll look good on that truck.
Credit to @Soundmound, I copied him, saw a pic of his same color c10 with those wheels on here.
Nice choice! I went polished lip square setup - 20 x 8.5 with 4.5 backspacing. Looks like you did similar?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Nice choice! I went polished lip square setup - 20 x 8.5 with 4.5 backspacing. Looks like you did similar?
Yup. I wanted the polished lip but as these are discontinued, not all sizes/offsets were available.
Holley had the best selection and for cheap. $150 a wheel. Jegs had an option for my more preferred backspacing and width but they were still charging full retail, $400 iirc.
I wanted 20x8.5 f, 20x10 r, but the the only gold 20x10s were not polished and 4” BS only said to work with narrowed axle and semi confirmed with a tape measure.
I did 20x8.5 all the way around.
Front is 5.25 BS. Partly because of your thoughts that your 4.5” bs may stick out too far. Even though @TotalyHucked confirmed they should work with the spindles I plan on getting.
Rear is 4.5BS, also not available with polished lip.
With the wider tires and 3/4” less offset they make up for “most” of the narrower rear track width.
Do you have yours on the truck yet?

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
@Grit dog They are not. Had to get tires for the Pilot on the Discount Card a few weeks ago and just paid it off. I'll probably wait until I get to SC anyway. We just got married this weekend and are trying to pay it off before we buy a house. Luckily, I think we spent less than $5k on the soirée.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
@Grit dog They are not. Had to get tires for the Pilot on the Discount Card a few weeks ago and just paid it off. I'll probably wait until I get to SC anyway. We just got married this weekend and are trying to pay it off before we buy a house. Luckily, I think we spent less than $5k on the soirée.
Well, congratulations!!
You’re moving to South Carrielina?
Wow! What a change. It’s beautiful there too!

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So got some new kicks for the brown truck.
Good news is found out the truck has all new lug studs front and back! Bout the only pleasant vehicular surprise lately… see rant thread.
Son tried to mount one up when he picked up the wheels from the tire shop, said the threads sticking out of the new aluminum wheels looked shy.
I haven’t had time to pull a wheel yet, since I was over putting the Camaro on a lift tonight to assess the damage thanks to a IFO, identified flying object that some a hole lost off the roof of his car a half second before my older son ran it over at 60mph….been gone for work since Mon morning and leaving again til Sunday.
But I popped a lug nut off and it appears that way.
The new wheelz are about 5/8” thick to the bottom of the lug nut cone.
I know there are a lot of old C10s running around with aluminum wheels. What’s the chance I can keep my shiny new lugs and replacing a simple set of wheels doesn’t involve me spending a day putting all new lugs on the truck?
If I need to order longer lugs, I’d like to get em on order now so I can have them for next week. Can’t remove wheels to check, when I’m not in the same county or state as the truck!
Pics for attention lol.
Those are a thing of beauty. They’re on my shortlist as well, but since many of you guys already got em, I might stick with the US mags Scottsdale.

That gold color looks great on that color combo. Probably better than the gold with my blue. The gold is the only one I’d want- makes them pop so much and brings out the retro vibe just right.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Those are a thing of beauty. They’re on my shortlist as well, but since many of you guys already got em, I might stick with the US mags Scottsdale.

That gold color looks great on that color combo. Probably better than the gold with my blue. The gold is the only one I’d want- makes them pop so much and brings out the retro vibe just right.
Thanks!
Yours would look pimp with the gray or chrome ones.
I’d go US mag scottsdales all day long. Love them but I’m a cheap ass and those are what? $1000 a pop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LazyBonez22