Any cb’s that would fit in the radio slot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1977C20Silverado

Reaction score
First Name
bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My truck came stock without a radio, and I’m doing fine with Bluetooth. But now I want a cb, and don’t want to mount it under so my knees don’t bump it, and I’d rather not roof mount it because the headliners pretty nice. But since I already don’t have a radio, are there any cb’s that would fit right there? Thanks

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

You could get them in your GM car or truck, 1978 to 198? This one pictured is on Ebay, $475 refurbished ready to go.

CLICK HERE

More to chose from. Google is your friend, or which ever search engine you choose.

1977C20Silverado

Reaction score
First Name
bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

You could get them in your GM car or truck, 1978 to 198? This one pictured is on Ebay, $475 refurbished ready to go.

CLICK HERE

More to chose from. Google is your friend, or which ever search engine you choose.
Thanks. Learn something new about these old trucks everyday

Vitruvius

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am in the same boat. There are new CBs now with detached / wireless hand set controls. Check you the Cobra 75 All Road. Head Unit can be anywhere connected to the antenna and 12v and the hand controller has a USB power plug which can also plug into the unit for power if you want. I want the retro looking CB but I have a stick shift 4x4 with original radio and like it how it is as well.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 79 Vette has a factory in dash radio, cassette, and CB. A lot of older Cadillac's had them too.
If you set the squelch right, when someone close by keys their mic, it will mute the stereo while they're talking, then return to music when they're done.
Same when you key your mic.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got an old CB that is small enough that it would easily fit in the radio slot. It's an old Radio Shack or Realistic brand iirc. It's only 3 channels though. I'm betting there are others on ebay.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
1975, 1987
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500
Engine Size
454, 350 tbi
CB radios bring back a lot of memories. My dad had this cool rig in his Dodge truck. We crossed the country more than once between VA and Cal. in that truck, yackin with the truckers on the CB. The handset made it seem like you had a phone in your truck, but who ever heard of such nonsense as a phone in your car.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
CB radios bring back a lot of memories. My dad had this cool rig in his Dodge truck. We crossed the country more than once between VA and Cal. in that truck, yackin with the truckers on the CB. The handset made it seem like you had a phone in your truck, but who ever heard of such nonsense as a phone in your car.

I have only seen cb base units at work with the phone handset instead of the mic. That's a cool unit you have there along with some cool memories using it and traveling with your dad cross country

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Just don't scrimp on the antenna system. That's where the heavy lifting comes from, if you want your set to have some legs. An amplifier is not necessarily the answer.

Shoot a picture of what you come up with. Also, if your panel is an unmolested radio delete, maybe find a decent one that already has the cutouts for a factory radio so if you Oops you haven't jammed up something perhaps kinda rare. I assume that the radio area is a solid blank plastic panel or something.... shoot a picture of what you have now.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres

CLICK HERE

One of the big inefficiencies I remembered when this setup was offered was the factory antennas, even the power versions, were electrically short for 27mc CB and had very little range. It wasn't the radio as much as the chitty am/fm antenna used.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Couldn't a regular phone hand set from the period work and be wired into any cb? I've got one or two 70s rotary phones.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
One of the big inefficiencies I remembered when this setup was offered was the factory antennas, even the power versions, were electrically short for 27mc CB and had very little range. It wasn't the radio as much as the chitty am/fm antenna used.
If it doesn't have 2 antenna connections, it should have them. Needs antenna for both the AM/FM and the CB. CB's don't transmit well with the wrong antenna. Ground plane is important too, but you probably know this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acrylic43