'87 GMC Suburban V1500 1/2 ton - replacing leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrDSmith

Reaction score
First Name
Desmond
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban v1500
Engine Size
5.7L V8 350 TBI
Afternoon, all,

It has been brought to my attention that the original leaf springs on my 1987 GMC Suburban v1500 4x4 (1/2 ton) are sagging and should be replaced.

I'm not sure how closely I should follow original specs when picking out replacements (weight capacity and number of leafs), because there seem to be some differences with what I'm able to find for sale. Generally, I prefer stock height. I have doubled the size of the fuel tank, adding a few hundred pounds to the rear.

According to a heritage document (attached), it seems my Suburban came standard with a 2-leaf pack in the front (rated at 1,850lbs each), and a two-stage, multi-leaf pack in the rear (rated at 2,000lbs each). I have confirmed that my Suburban is indeed equipped with a 2-leaf pack in the front and a 5-leaf pack in the rear.

Due to the new fuel tank, I am considering beefing the rear leaf packs up 10% each to 2,200lbs; I also don't want the rear to be too low when towing with that new fuel tank.

Any suggestions on where to pick up some quality (preferably not made in China) leaf springs? On RockAuto, nearly all the 'front' leaf packs I see seem to be 3 leaf or more. Are there any 1,850lb rated 2-leaf packs? The only 2-leaf pack I can find is the Dayton 22402, which is rated only for 1,400lbs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, everyone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleWeldz