86 Suburban 2nd row shouldber belts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kapitein

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Hi Folks,

Looking for some help with my 86 Suburban.

Right now the 2nd row has 3x lap belts. I would really like to put in shoulder/3-point belts on the outside seats, so I can transport the youngest ones safely in their car seats.

AFAIK 86 was the last year to be fitted with lap belts, from 87 they were shoulder belts from the factory?? Even if thats not the case, my truck has the bolt holes in the B pillar, so its just a case of having the correct belts and swapping them out.

Does anyone know if any aftermarket companies sell sets?

Thanks

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hi Folks,

Looking for some help with my 86 Suburban.

Right now the 2nd row has 3x lap belts. I would really like to put in shoulder/3-point belts on the outside seats, so I can transport the youngest ones safely in their car seats.

AFAIK 86 was the last year to be fitted with lap belts, from 87 they were shoulder belts from the factory?? Even if thats not the case, my truck has the bolt holes in the B pillar, so its just a case of having the correct belts and swapping them out.

Does anyone know if any aftermarket companies sell sets?

Thanks

Not sure about aftermarket sets but if you can find an 87-90 vehicle in a boneyard grabbing them shouldn't be too hard (as long as your truck already has the hardpoints to mount them up on). Or fine someone turning an 87-90 Suburban into a ranch/hunting rig with the rear seats removed and see if you can snag theirs. I expect the rear seatbelts from an 87-90 crew cab pickup should work as well since most of the Suburban body from the rear doors forward is essentially the same as a 4 door pickup cab.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
My 87 did not have shoulder belts on 2nd or 3rd rows either. It was a very base model setup, so I'm guessing it remained an option at least through 87. I got a set of belts from the wrecking yard but have not installed yet, too many other items on the list higher than that for now.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Used seat belts don't rate high on my list of good ideas. They are all,decades old and if you ever buy new sfi seat belts you'll find out they have a good till date, Sun,ozone etc. weakens the webbing. Anyway I'd try seat belt planet.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Our '84 Burb had shoulder belts on the outer (next to door) second row seat, but it was a Silverado. Our '90 GMC Burb had them too. The '84 had them on the third row (I think?) but we yanked that seat out early on as we used that Burb for hauling stuff. The '90 did not have a third row seat.

kapitein

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the input.

Boneyards aren't a possibility unfortunately as im in Europe.

I will start mailing the belt companies, hopefully they have a solution.

Interesting to know that earlier MYs were also equipped with shoulder belts optionally.... I really thought it was 87+.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Used seat belts don't rate high on my list of good ideas. They are all,decades old and if you ever buy new sfi seat belts you'll find out they have a good till date, Sun,ozone etc. weakens the webbing. Anyway I'd try seat belt planet.

Imho, if you are replacing a really old used seat belt, with another really old used seat belt that has a shoulder strap, you are still improving the safety.

Besides, you can kinda tell the condition of the seat belt just by inspecting it. If it's still soft, flexible, has no cuts or abrasions and the retractor still works well, then you know it's still going to do it's job. Probably better than a lot of the universal seat belt kits that who knows what kind of testing has been done, if any at all.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Imho, if you are replacing a really old used seat belt, with another really old used seat belt that has a shoulder strap, you are still improving the safety.

Besides, you can kinda tell the condition of the seat belt just by inspecting it. If it's still soft, flexible, has no cuts or abrasions and the retractor still works well, then you know it's still going to do it's job. Probably better than a lot of the universal seat belt kits that who knows what kind of testing has been done, if any at all.
I won't argue adding a better old seat belt is an upgrade,but if I was going to spend money,and go to install trouble for the specific purpose of making 2 children as safe as I could make them. I'd buy new and find out how seat belts are rated. Id feel terrible forever if something did happen and I didnt do it that way.There has to be a reason our racing harnesses have a date code,and we can't use them expired. IDK how 30 year old webbing reacts in a crash,if it stretches different etc. no matter how good it looks and feels,I just don't know how time affects their function. I might be able to do a breast exam. might be able to tell somethings wrong,but I'm no doctor. I am however willing to give free breast exams to any volunteer women. Thanks for the awesome Idea,party,party,party. Have an awesome day man.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I won't argue adding a better old seat belt is an upgrade,but if I was going to spend money,and go to install trouble for the specific purpose of making 2 children as safe as I could make them. I'd buy new and find out how seat belts are rated. Id feel terrible forever if something did happen and I didnt do it that way.There has to be a reason our racing harnesses have a date code,and we can't use them expired. IDK how 30 year old webbing reacts in a crash,if it stretches different etc. no matter how good it looks and ferls,I just don't know how time affects their function. I might be able to do a breast exam. might be able to tell somethings wrong,but I'm no doctor. I am however willing to give free breast exams to any volunteer women. Thanks for the awesome Idea,party,party,party. Have an awesome day man.

I don't disagree with you about that, I just feel that spending 20-40 bucks on a set of belts for an improvement in safety isn't necessarily a bad choice.

Child safety seats are the same way. You are supposed to discard them after a certain amount of time. 5 or 7 years or something like that.

I find it interesting that factory seatbelts aren't required to be replaced every so often. I know in some areas that do safety inspections, a visual defect in a belt will cause the car not to pass... but that's the same way I determine if a factory belt is safe or not. I also find it interesting that the OEM's aren't required to offer replacement belts longer than they do. I'm not sure about these days, but seat belts used to be one of the first parts that were discontinued after a body style went out of production, right after carpet.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't disagree with you about that, I just feel that spending 20-40 bucks on a set of belts for an improvement in safety isn't necessarily a bad choice.

Child safety seats are the same way. You are supposed to discard them after a certain amount of time. 5 or 7 years or something like that.

I find it interesting that factory seatbelts aren't required to be replaced every so often. I know in some areas that do safety inspections, a visual defect in a belt will cause the car not to pass... but that's the same way I determine if a factory belt is safe or not. I also find it interesting that the OEM's aren't required to offer replacement belts longer than they do. I'm not sure about these days, but seat belts used to be one of the first parts that were discontinued after a body style went out of production, right after carpet.
I just want to do the free breast exams. Making a sign for the yard as we speak.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy