86 c10 No click, no start. Fixed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverbackreef

Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Posted here to help someone else perhaps.

The short of it:
Check the purple wire at the firewall connector, driver's side, under the wiper motor (big square connector with a bunch of wires coming out). It might be loose.

The long of it:
Had my truck towed home due to no-click, no-start. I was suspicious of charging system/grounds/etc. Did a bunch of diag on charging side, couldn't find anything wrong. After consulting manuals and online resources and conducting a couple of quick tests, decided it was the cranking circuit. Biggest hint was "no change in dome light intensity while trying to crank". Reviewed that circuit, components, wire paths etc. to prepare for more detailed diag. Got outside, laid hands on all the wires, connectors etc to identify components and test points. Hook up the voltmeter for the first test, get in the truck, turn the key, and ... it starts. Note that I was expecting zero volts. Assumed that in touching everything I had reconnected something loose. Ran the circuit again and found the purple wire on the firewall connect partially pulled out. Cleaned it, reinserted where it belongs, no trouble since.

Like so many things on this truck, that connector needs to be completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. Due to home renovation, I just need the truck to be a truck for now. Band-Aid and keep rollin'

Other folk's posts here definitely helped me get this figured out. Perhaps these words will help someone in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tandc49