700r4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJones

Reaction score
First Name
Timm
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
I have been driving my 83 gmc k2500 for a while with no issue. I had to make some adjustments in my Holley sniper throttle bracket and re adjusted my detent cable to the 700r4. The shift points seem to be good but when I’m coming to a stop and say roll through a stop sign just barely rolling and take off it seems to be taking off in 2nd and doesn’t seem to shift down to first but if I come to a complete stop then take off it seems to be fine. I don’t know if I’m just now noticing this now for some reason or is it something I messed up

****update. I have now noticed a small consistent vibration when I am stopped and stops when I put it in neutral at a stop light. It also seems like my engine temp is running 10* hotter when driving compared to where it has been but cools down when I come to a stop. Am I wrong in thinking my torque converter is starting to fail?

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have been driving my 83 gmc k2500 for a while with no issue. I had to make some adjustments in my Holley sniper throttle bracket and re adjusted my detent cable to the 700r4. The shift points seem to be good but when I’m coming to a stop and say roll through a stop sign just barely rolling and take off it seems to be taking off in 2nd and doesn’t seem to shift down to first but if I come to a complete stop then take off it seems to be fine. I don’t know if I’m just now noticing this now for some reason or is it something I messed up
Taking off from a stop in 2nd would be problematic but if you're not coming to a complete stop, still rolling then you may or may not downshift back to first. You can check the governor as well as do a line pressure test to see if anything odd shows up (governor valve should move freely when you actuate the weights with your hands and line pressure should be 55-70 PSI at idle in Park, Neutral, Drive, D3 while 90-110 PSI in Reverse and 130-150 PSI or so in manual 2 and Low (1).

Any other drivability symptoms apart from that?

TJones

Reaction score
First Name
Timm
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Taking off from a stop in 2nd would be problematic but if you're not coming to a complete stop, still rolling then you may or may not downshift back to first. You can check the governor as well as do a line pressure test to see if anything odd shows up (governor valve should move freely when you actuate the weights with your hands and line pressure should be 55-70 PSI at idle in Park, Neutral, Drive, D3 while 90-110 PSI in Reverse and 130-150 PSI or so in manual 2 and Low (1).

Any other drivability symptoms apart from that?
No other symptoms other than that and doesn’t always seem to happen just seemed to be noticeable today when I was driving it

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
No other symptoms other than that and doesn’t always seem to happen just seemed to be noticeable today when I was driving it
How old is your TV cable? Has it ever been replaced as long as you have owned the vehicle?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy