5.3L and 4L60E into '79 Silverado Shorted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

APOLILLO

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 / 307
Howdy

Getting going on this shortly and figured I'd start this thread in case questions for the community popped up. I'll list out components below and post updates here and there, but as this is my first venture outside carburated SBC, I'm almost positive things will come up and youtube can only get you so far.

Here's my truck :

You must be registered for see images attach

So far, the interior has been cleaned up and refurbished nicely but not overdone. I Bought it from a guy who felt the same way I do about these things, "stock feeling." The motor is a 307 from somewhere; it runs fine but has some big maintenance coming up, and I figure now would be a good time. I gutted the whole engine bay and replacing with

- Rebuilt Turnkey 5.3L LS from Hot Rod Shop in Washington state. Custom heads and S2 cam and FiTech
- Hooker Shorty Headers
- Rebuilt 4L60E
- New Aluminum Radiator with dual 12" fans
- Wildwood Master Cyl and CPP Hydro
- Gen 5 Vintage Air Complete Kit
- Squarebody Syndicate Dakota gauges
- 3/5 CPP drop kit (pulling it up from its current 5/7, which I love, but I bottom out everywhere now as it is)

I have various other small projects to do simultaneously, but as I wait for the motor to show up, I'm just trying to get everything together.

I would welcome any insight or recs. Currently trying to figure out what to do for exhaust, deciding on tires (want to keep rally) and going to seal up the exterior panels. Also looking for the Vintage air kit, if anyone has one they didn't end up using. I tried poppys and it was pretty streaky so I have some sanding in my future.

that about it. will post updates. I always like a build thread, figure there might be some more out there.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Good looking truck man, welcome! I did the same thing with my '85 4 years ago, yanked out the 350/350 and put in a cammed 5.3/4L65 combo, it makes these trucks so much more enjoyable, I literally drive mine all over the country (got 43k miles on it now).

I can make a few recommendations from my experience and from other friends (we have a HUGE C10 scene here with a ton of LS swaps and I've helped with several of them).

-First, if you're talking about the Hooker manifolds, that's a good choice. If you're talking shorty tubular headers, I'd rethink that. Shorty headers only create headaches (the flange usually interferes with the frame rail and they make plug changes harder while adding no performance whatsoever). I run Speed Engineering's 1 3/4" longtube swap headers on mine.

-Second, what are the cam specs? You're going to want to add a converter to that trans build if it's a bigger one, nothing worse than driving something with a big cam and a tight converter. Also, what rear gears are you gonna run? Cam specs, converter, trans ratios, rear gear and tire size all need to be spec'd to work together.

-Third, I cannot stress this enough...DO NOT run FiTech. Everything they make is complete and utter junk. Go either GM computer with a BP swap harness or Holley Terminator. I'm good buddies with a couple tuners here and travel the show circuit all year, I have yet to hear anybody that likes FiTech after probably thousands of convos. Several guys have wasted their money on it only to have it be nothing but a headache and eventually tear it out for something else. My tuner buddys have ripped several of them out as well.

-Fourth, if you can get the Poppy's off without hurting the patina/OG paint, either just buff and coat it or get some Patina Sauce from Sweet Patina. There again, I've talked to (and seen) several vehicles with issues after using Poppy's. Hazing coating/never looked good or it starts to lift and it brings the paint with it. The Sweet Patina is a much safer alternative and isn't permanent like Poppy's is.

-Fifth, if it's an AC truck originally, I'd recommend rebuilding the stock AC stuff and just use a newer style Sanden compressor. I have several friends that regret doing Vintage Air in their trucks. Condensation issues inside the truck and lack of cooling.

For exhaust, just get on Youtube and find what you like. Listen to videos of 99-13 trucks as well since they're the same engine. I've had 2 setups on mine, both Speed Engineering longtubes and X-pipe with 2.5" tubing. First was with the 4L65, BTR Stage 4 V2 truck cam and Borla ProXS mufflers mounted in the traditional spot. Then when I swapped to the T56 I have now, it got a Texas Speed Bald Eagle N/A cam and Corsa universals mounted behind the axle (to help with drone).

My truck was 4.5/6 originally and is now ~5/8 with various pieces mixed in to get it to ride good.

Borla's/auto/BTR cam:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Corsa's/T56/TSP cam:

APOLILLO

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 / 307
That is beyond helpful, my dude. Thank you.

1: yes, Hooker Manifolds. I read a good bit about hits and misses and ended up with them due to space availability and clearance concerns.

2. Cam is 212/218 and Head specs are 706/799/243. The trans is being rebuilt and mated at the speed shop, and truthfully, I didn't ask about the converter spec as he knew its intended use, and I don't know enough about the differences to spec it out myself. I had assumed it would be the factory converter since a 5.3 isnt putting out major tq or chp

3. That is not good! I asked everyone down here at shows, the various speed shops I know, and the builder, and they all pointed me to FiTech and steered me away from Holley, as it was my initial preference. From what I can tell, this is a hotly debated topic about those who have experience. I suppose it is the preference of the tuner that matters most. I am keeping some of the GM components, but I liked the plug and play capability of Holley or FiTech for the Dakota gauges

4. The SoCal heat bubble is making quick work of that Poppys. I can already tell it's coming up just by wear. I only did one coat initially to see if I liked the satin finish. It would be a good product if you plan to pull panels and spray, but what's the point just use a matte clear? I have a good amount of sweet patina from another project, and although I have to apply way more often due to the amount of oxidation my truck has, I don't want to risk the current paint again.

5. I will def take your advice here for the AC because this was the biggest reservation ive had. It seems like quite the investment, and I have read people experiencing mildew from the moisture, and I don't need another stinky cabin my giel will bitch about. I rebuilt the factory air to work now and it does get cold, I just would like to swap for as many moden fiuntioning components as I can so it is servicable. Compressor and the blower fan mainly. I will redo the ductwork and replace all vents with new OE when im doing since mine are shot.

Exhaust I was leaning Borla and will have a listen.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcsimon