454 build, which pistons to get to 9:1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Howdy all,

My 454 went to the machine shop today for a block dip, new bearings, and valve jobs on the heads.

I’m adding in this Howard’s hydraulic roller cam and lifters, matching springs, headers, rpm air gap intake, Holley sniper, 2.5” x pipe exhaust. My question is should I do new pistons as well? This cam is geared for 1400-4900 rpm.

Last edited:

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe the shop that helped with the block could help?

Short of that, there’s tons of compression ratio calculators online that you can use. https://butlerperformance.com/n-12872-compression-calculator.html

You could look up what chamber size you have, what head gasket and then plug it into the calculator- play with it a little and then find the piston dome/dish that fits your needs. Don’t forget to factor in the cc’s for the valve reliefs as well- piston manufacturers will list how much volume they are. Have fun!

Confused

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That is a mild cam and should work even with the stock compression. That being said it wouldn't hurt to deck the block a little (if for no other reason than to make sure it is flat and square) and have them mill the heads a little as well. Thin head gasket and it all adds up.

I would have them do a hone on the cylinders and new rings as well.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
If trying to not mess with balance much, need to get weight of current pistons first. Then can start searching for different pistons. Is this tbi or vortec block?

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’m running pistons with a 230cc dome, my machine shop said I should be about 9.4 comp (781 heads).

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I was way off on which block. I am running flat top pistons with angle milled heads and mls gasket for 8.9:1.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
I was way off on which block. I am running flat top pistons with angle milled heads and mls gasket for 8.9:1.
What pistons are you running? Peanut port heads?

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Looking to get 8.5-9:1

That is a mild cam and should work even with the stock compression. That being said it wouldn't hurt to deck the block a little (if for no other reason than to make sure it is flat and square) and have them mill the heads a little as well. Thin head gasket and it all adds up.

I would have them do a hone on the cylinders and new rings as well.
Do you think this would be more bang for buck than just changing to a flat top overall? These are what my pistons look like now:

Last edited:

Confused

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If your pistons and bore are good no reason to change them IMO. If they are out of spec then a dome pistons that puts you at 9.0-9.5-1 will help power everywhere.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
What pistons are you running? Peanut port heads?
I had rotating assembly balanced with new flat top pistons and aftermarket heads angle milled to about 108cc.
Vortec 96-99 bbc heads have 97 to 100cc chambers and give a bump in compression. On other motor I am planning to try finding domed pistons with similar to stock weight to reduce balancing issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHANE_DONNELLY