396 with Edelbrock 1406 running issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UKSquarebody

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi all,

I have a fresh built 396 BB in my truck. Its nothing trick, just a refresh (new rings/shells etc), with a mild Summitt cam.
It's running a 1406 Edelbrock that was new 3 years ago - with only about 500 miles use on it in that time.
The truck has not been on the road yet (just finishing up some trim work), just moved around my workshop since the rebuild.
It has always fired straight up and idled really nice, revved up well -=never an issue.
I went to move it yesterday and it sounded like it ran out of fuel - suddenly went really flat and spluttered. Put fresh fuel in. It fires straight up still, and then runs really flat and splutters within 30 secs.
Before I start pulling stuff - whats your thoughts? Pulled some crud through the tank into the carb?
Take the top off the carb and clean out - with fingers crossed?
I do paint and body - not mechanical. I know 'stuff' - but looking for pointers before sending out to mechanical shop - especially if something dumb like some crud in the fuel bowl is likely.

Cheers,
Keith

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check your fuel filters- could be clogged. Also, if it wasn’t ethanol free sitting in it, could’ve varnished by now
and gummed up the carb a little.

It’s not hard to take the top plate of an Edelbrock off if you want to look inside the bowls- just a series of torx head screws after you undo the linkages. If you’re not familiar with them, just take a picture for reference before you start.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check the easy stuff first, plugs, fuel filter & fuel supply (pump) then junk in the carb. If the easy stuff looks ok, think about an ignition module. What type of distributor are you running?

UKSquarebody

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the replies.
It's running an HEi dizzy.
Was thinking to check plugs - I get what you say about fouling up with short runs - but it fires and runs sweet straight off - but then goes flat. Surely fouled plugs or an HEi issue would be there from the get go?

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
All the basics: Bad gas, dirty carburetor, fouled plugs. They all go together. Also the contacts on the distributor cap and rotor can get corroded, especially the aluminum ones.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Put a shop towel in the exhaust and start it.Then go see if the shop towel is still in the exhaust.

1975 fleet

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
Hi all,

I have a fresh built 396 BB in my truck. Its nothing trick, just a refresh (new rings/shells etc), with a mild Summitt cam.
It's running a 1406 Edelbrock that was new 3 years ago - with only about 500 miles use on it in that time.
The truck has not been on the road yet (just finishing up some trim work), just moved around my workshop since the rebuild.
It has always fired straight up and idled really nice, revved up well -=never an issue.
I went to move it yesterday and it sounded like it ran out of fuel - suddenly went really flat and spluttered. Put fresh fuel in. It fires straight up still, and then runs really flat and splutters within 30 secs.
Before I start pulling stuff - whats your thoughts? Pulled some crud through the tank into the carb?
Take the top off the carb and clean out - with fingers crossed?
I do paint and body - not mechanical. I know 'stuff' - but looking for pointers before sending out to mechanical shop - especially if something dumb like some crud in the fuel bowl is likely.

Cheers,
Keith

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I've been running a 1411 Edelbrock on this girl for over 20 years. 1406 is 600 CFM & 1411 is 750 CFM. WOT it will still give out, it's not a 800 CFM Q-jet or a double pumper Holley. It is very reliable tho.
You must be registered for see images attach

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
It is a factory '69 396. Still has the GM stamping on the bearings. I pulled the rear main back in '00 & put in a new rear seal, timing chain (replaced factory Morse) & oil pan gasket. I drive it a few times a week now but it's getting a healthy appetite for oil as of late. Must have something to do with over 50 years of sevice.. FYI, I still unleash the BBC for pleasure & smoke-shows!

Strickland

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I've been running a 1411 Edelbrock on this girl for over 20 years. 1406 is 600 CFM & 1411 is 750 CFM. WOT it will still give out, it's not a 800 CFM Q-jet or a double pumper Holley. It is very reliable tho.
You must be registered for see images attach
Nice looking ride!!

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Nice looking ride!!
Thanks man. I've torn it apart twice in the 31 years I've had it & getting ready for round 3. My 396 is tired but still fires. I have another to replace it along with some new fenders & hood. I love my old car & feel like the 18 year old that resurrected it each time I drive it. Thanks for commenting. F-bodies & Squares have been my life.

HS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHANE_DONNELLY