350 sounds like a diesel engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wbcook5

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I have a supposedly low mile Goodwrench Targetmaster 350 crate motor in my '83. It runs great, has fantastic oil pressure, but it sounds like a diesel engine. The noise is most noticeable at idle and doesn't appear until the engine has been running for a minute or so. I have tried using a pipe "stethoscope", but can't seem to pinpoint the location of the noise. I have unbolted the torque converter to rule it out and the noise remains. Timing was verified with a light. I hear the noise the best underneath the truck near the driver side rear of the engine close to the oil filter. Any ideas or suggestions?

I tried posting a video, but apparently I am not tech savvy enough to figure that out.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Drain the oil look for "glitter" and cut the oil filter open and check for metal particles.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Do what @Rickf said, then with fresh oil and filter, get the oil pumping and up to pressure for a few minutes and then adjust the valves with the two-roll method. Adjust the valves if there isn't any flakes in the oil when you drain it and cut open the filter. If there's flakes, you have different problems than valve train.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Two roll valve adjustment....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

wbcook5

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I will do an oil change and post the results. In the meantime, here’s a link for a YouTube video I made showing the sound the engine is making.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I will do an oil change and post the results. In the meantime, here’s a link for a YouTube video I made showing the sound the engine is making.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wow, it really DOES sound like a diesel! What happens to the sound when you rev up the engine? Does it kinda go away or does it rattle a bunch more when you wing it a couple times?

wbcook5

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Wow, it really DOES sound like a diesel! What happens to the sound when you rev up the engine? Does it kinda go away or does it rattle a bunch more when you wing it a couple times?
It doesn’t go away completely. I can still hear a sort of ticking off idle but it’s hard to hear it over the fan and exhaust.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It doesn’t go away completely. I can still hear a sort of ticking off idle but it’s hard to hear it over the fan and exhaust.

Right, but what if you romp on the gas pedal a couple times? Like, let it really spin up a bit. Is there a horrible noise to go along with it? If not, that can be a good sign.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I hear an exhaust leak. But to me it doesn't sound as bad as I imagined it would.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I have had plenty of small blocks with exhaust leaks. Didn’t sound like that. Hell, have a couple now but ones big block…
Sounds like a really loud valvetrain.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I have had plenty of small blocks with exhaust leaks. Didn’t sound like that. Hell, have a couple now but ones big block…
Sounds like a really loud valvetrain.
Exhaust leaks come in different sizes, I hear an exhaust leak underneath. But, it's just a video, hard to tell.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Get a stethascope at HF and pinpoint the location. If your truck has cats don't forget to check them.

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Between the fan and sounding like loud exhaust in a closed garage, not sure what noise you are talking about. The ticking noise???

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Just rewatched the video a couple times. and it sounds like valvetrain either out of adjustment or your using way too thin of oil or low oil pressure. Have you changed oil yet? What weight did you use

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I have a supposedly low mile Goodwrench Targetmaster 350 crate motor in my '83. It runs great, has fantastic oil pressure, but it sounds like a diesel engine. The noise is most noticeable at idle and doesn't appear until the engine has been running for a minute or so. I have tried using a pipe "stethoscope", but can't seem to pinpoint the location of the noise. I have unbolted the torque converter to rule it out and the noise remains. Timing was verified with a light. I hear the noise the best underneath the truck near the driver side rear of the engine close to the oil filter. Any ideas or suggestions?

I tried posting a video, but apparently I am not tech savvy enough to figure that out.
When you say "Sounds like a diesel", do you mean that it sounds like excessive clearance in the connecting rods? Loose piston pins? If the noise is right near the oil filter, I would check my connecting rods, starting with the rear-most rod. You could have one that overly large inserts for a larger size crank pin ie, your crank pins were reground .010 undersize, but one rod has a .030 undersize bearing. That excessive clearance will be audible if it is large enough. Also will cause a large amount of oil to drain out, potentially depriving the rest of your engine of adequate lubrication.

J. B.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doolin