2001 Suburban 3/4 Ton oil block off plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Gents!! Curious to know if an oil block off plate on my 3/4 ton 6.0 would hurt anything??

For towing, I pull our 34 foot camper and the longest trip is typically around 300 miles one way, once per year...other trips are a lot closer.

Other than that, it's just driven with no pulling. Other camping trips are within 100 miles.

My oil cooler lines to the radiator are bad and leaking, to replace them I also need to loosen up my front diff to drop it a little. Honestly I'd rather block it off with the plate I've found at Napa which looks like it let's the oil circulate in the pocket of that plate.

On my old 99 GMC Classic (OBS) I deleted the oil cooler lines and put on an old school 350 oil housing with no lines and it's been fine forever since.

Any suggestions or advice for my 6.0?? These lines are a beeoch to replace...

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Here is the block off plate I mentioned.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are they leaking where the hoses are crimped on?

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Are they leaking where the hoses are crimped on?

The rubber itself is wet and compromised now because I tried taking them off this past Sunday and jad to really force it to move it and then got to the point I ran out of time so I put them back on because they would not come out without dropping the front diff from it....

One line at the crimp also rotates so I don't trust it also.

That's why I'm looking at a block off plate.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The rubber itself is wet and compromised now because I tried taking them off this past Sunday and jad to really force it to move it and then got to the point I ran out of time so I put them back on because they would not come out without dropping the front diff from it....

One line at the crimp also rotates so I don't trust it also.

That's why I'm looking at a block off plate.

I've had good luck carefully hacking up the crimps, then replacing just the rubber hose with new, oil rated hose. With basic hose clamps.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But I see no reason why that plate wouldn't work. Other than oil flow possibly being restricted by those two immediate 90° turns.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've had good luck carefully hacking up the crimps, then replacing just the rubber hose with new, oil rated hose. With basic hose clamps.
Same here cut the sheet metal,peel it off replace the hose and clamp it. Works on the shop air hoses too and Damm near anything with a crimped on end.

Last edited:

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Welp, I slept on it....said screw it, I will put in the new oil lines....I had a feeling I shouldn't take the easy way and block it off, which for my 99 Classis OBS was fine, but I'm not experienced enough with a 6.0 to feel comfortable doing that.

Elbow deep in grease now, can't think of anything funner I'd rather do today......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsme0903