2 post VS 4 post lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This was different. Instead of being parallel, it was inline. One for rear axle and one for front. I've never seen another like it. Probably installed in the early 70's.
Think I have seen those in shops that work on heavier duty trucks.

Another one is rail hoist. One in ground cylinder, beams running length wise. Designed for vehicles with solid axles both ends. Probably made for 40's cars.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, this is what we had. I totally forgot it had 2 levers and kids were always screwing it up!!!

I don't remember exactly when that tech school was built, but I do believe it was in the early 70's.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
When I was in high school tech class, our shop's lift was a 2-post, in ground lift. Post in the front, post in the rear. The front and rear was on separate controls too, and the worst part was that they went up at very different speeds. Even then, it seemed like a sketchy thing to have, with a bunch of inexperienced high school kids operating it.
K-Mart had those twin post in ground lifts. I hated that lift for all the reasons. Last time I saw one used, the techs left a jeep up on it without any locks. Rear cylinder leaked down overnight and the jeep was hanging off its bumper at a 75° angle, fluids and fuel everywhere. Glad it wasn't my ticket. Became pallet storage after that, it was banned from use after that.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Man i wish my highschool even had a shop woodshop etc class at all. It was like 1300 students but nothing offered like that.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
In high school we once had an autoshop a decade before I got there ago. Had a 2 post lift out of the floor like you guys are describing. Never got to see it in action. Metals and welding was next door and autoshop was storage.... my sophomore year it got turned to the art class........
Some tools disappeared mysteriously lol
On another note. My junior or senior year we finally got a plasma cutter. Jerk offs would screw it up on purpose. Us shop kids would fix it ourselves and buy the tips and lockup the machine. I personally saw kids turn up the arc welders to 11 and throw/stick electrodes to the wall and walk away and laugh and show there buddy. Why are you even here taking this class JA!

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Man i wish my highschool even had a shop woodshop etc class at all. It was like 1300 students but nothing offered like that.
Sorry to hijack the thread on lifts...

We had a great auto shop class which was really surprising since it was considered an affluent area and most kids had brand new cars. Tom Nelson, who was a couple grades ahead of me, was in my class and started Nelson Racing Engines pretty much right out of HS. A couple guys went to work for Turbonetics, Haas Racing, and Paxton. One worked at Vortech in HS and went on to Holley and Ridetech. I worked for a NHRA team and dyno shop my Jr year and Circle Track engine builder then went to PAW where I got to know the guys from Edelbrock, B&M, and others. We had some high end cars as class cars like a 911, Cobra Kit Car w/ a 429 side oiler, etc.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Sorry to hijack the thread on lifts...

We had a great auto shop class which was really surprising since it was considered an affluent area and most kids had brand new cars. Tom Nelson, who was a couple grades ahead of me, was in my class and started Nelson Racing Engines pretty much right out of HS. A couple guys went to work for Turbonetics, Haas Racing, and Paxton. One worked at Vortech in HS and went on to Holley and Ridetech. I worked for a NHRA team and dyno shop my Jr year and Circle Track engine builder then went to PAW where I got to know the guys from Edelbrock, B&M, and others. We had some high end cars as class cars like a 911, Cobra Kit Car w/ a 429 side oiler, etc.
Why not. I highjack threads all the time lol

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Thanks for the input, Its really helped me make a decision!
Pretty seriously probably getting this one.
Has Symmetrical arms. Going to poor a slab and put a tall metal carport with sides to put over it. I'll fill the end wall for shelves and work bench. Going to slope floor so I can pressure wash rigs in there. Maybe get a steam cleaner someday, Or make one.
found some good support stands and a trans jack to go with.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240926_070352_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240926_070352_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240926_083353_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240926_083353_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 9

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
1975, 1987
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500
Engine Size
454, 350 tbi
Thanks for the input, Its really helped me make a decision!
Pretty seriously probably getting this one.
Has Symmetrical arms. Going to poor a slab and put a tall metal carport with sides to put over it. I'll fill the end wall for shelves and work bench. Going to slope floor so I can pressure wash rigs in there. Maybe get a steam cleaner someday, Or make one.
found some good support stands and a trans jack to go with.
I believe that’s the one I bought in 2016. Use it all the time (Blazer is up on it now) and have never had any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YardPickerUpper