2 post VS 4 post lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I'm looking at lifts to make life allot easier.
I've been thinking of a 14,000# 2 post because there's more working room and I still want to be able to put a 4 door long bed truck weighing 9,000# is that safe? Maybe with a support stand under the receiver. Seen that done. Thoughts?
The 4 post I like because it seems safer. Especially for bigger rigs. But the 4 post floor might get in the way?

I'm sure some of you on here have more experience than me with lifts. I'm pretty sure I Want a 2 post but don't want to make a mistake. I'm blessed to finally be able to get one.
Thank you for looking

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
One of the 2 posts I was looking at.
Fode ranger picture doesn't instill confidence lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240925_070648_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240925_070648_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
2 post with crew cab will work. Hoist needs to be high quality. We raise them all day on a Bend Pak. For added stability quite often we add a stand to the rear. Just be sure to remove it before lowering the truck. Have seen that done, it usually isn't pretty.

A 4 post will also work but to remove the tires a cross jack is needed. Price those out, decent ones are expensive. Hoist also takes more room if that is a concern.

A friend bought a 2 post 15k Mohawk on the government auction site for about 1/2 price. Will raises his crew cab diesel without any problem, hoist is expensive new.

Another consideration is floor thickness.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Thank you @fast 99
I'm pouring it and plan to make it extra thick and reinforced in that area if I go 2 post. I'm thinking I will. I'll see if I can find the Mohawk.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Personally, if cost were no object, I'd go 4 post with 2 slider tray jacks to have the ability to do it all. But that is like 1/3 more, my buddy just priced all that out. I've never worked on one but I've done alot of work on a 2-post and it can get sketchy. Our '07 Duramax fell off our 2-post at work when one of the arms slipped off the frame, thankfully the running board caught it.

If you go 2-post, I'd highly recommend those U-channel feet/adaptors. That's the only way I'll use our 2-post now since that gives you a second layer of security from the arms swinging. Also, get 2 stands so you can have one front and rear for super long trucks/heavy work. I always put one front and rear when I'm doing more than changing oil, just in case.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
The age old question….lol.
The right answer is a single post, but they don’t make em anymore. Safety or sumpthin…..lol. My buddy has 2 of the old single post lifts. Love them. The least downsides of any of the 3 configurations.
Back to the question. If you have the room and only want to use it for work and not storing vehicles and can dedicate that space solely to the lift, I’d go 2 post.
Downside of 4 post is harder to work under and Need a carriage jack to do wheel/suspension work. Upside is they’re moveable. Flip wheel kit down and just push it out of the way or wherever.
I’m stuck on 2 v 4 post myself. Would sure like to get something. Sick of ramps and laying on cardboard for low clearance vehicles and the other 100 things that would be easier with a lift.
Good luck!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
thanks @TotalyHucked ,I'll definitely be getting a couple stands and painting them bright something. Money is an issue as always but still trying to get a good valued one. Found a nice 12k I can probably afford for right at 5 grand

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
The right answer is a single post, but they don’t make em anymore. Safety or sumpthin…..lol. My buddy has 2 of the old single post lifts. Love them. The least downsides of any of the 3 configurations.
Back to the question. If you have the room and only want to use it for work and not storing vehicles and can dedicate that space solely to the lift, I’d go 2 post.
Downside of 4 post is harder to work under and Need a carriage jack to do wheel/suspension work. Upside is they’re moveable. Flip wheel kit down and just push it out of the way or wherever.
I’m stuck on 2 v 4 post myself. Would sure like to get something. Sick of ramps and laying on cardboard for low clearance vehicles and the other 100 things that would be easier with a lift.
Good luck!
My friends dad built a new shop a few years ago and added in a single post lift. He had the cylinder repacked and put it in. It's so cool lol. I remember seeing it laying on the ground before it was refurbished.
They show one being used in the tucker movie.
Out here on one of our back roads there's theres one just outside in the open. Had no idea it was there till a couple months ago it was in use for Fode ranger front brakes or something lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
My friends dad built a new shop a few years ago and added in a single post lift. He had the cylinder repacked and put it in. It's so cool lol. I remember seeing it laying on the ground before it was refurbished.
They show one being used in the tucker movie.
Out here on one of our back roads there's theres one just outside in the open. Had no idea it was there till a couple months ago it was in use for Fode ranger front brakes or something lol
Yeah buddy got 3 from an old service station backin the day. Gave one away to someone. Put another in his shop when he built it. And just recently put the last one outside under his new rv carport for “dirty” work.
If it’s not obvious, I have lift envy…lol!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Idk how comfortable you'd be with a used one, but a buddy of mine got a used BendPak from a shop that was going out of business. It was a 12k, only been used for about a year and he hired one of the mechanics to come help put it up. Then brought in an electrician to finish it up. Cost him ~3k all told

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Good luck!
The original location of our parts store had a two bay shop behind the showroom, between it and the warehouse. First bay had a center post lift, that probably dated from 1960-61 when the building was constructed. We used it occasionally to work on under car stuff; one time was the headers and dual exhaust on the '78 shop truck. Once we were using it, and it suddenly dropped a couple feet; Dad got out from under it rather quickly! Prolly didn't use it much after that. I think we asked about getting it fixed and decided it was way too expensive.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Idk how comfortable you'd be with a used one, but a buddy of mine got a used BendPak from a shop that was going out of business. It was a 12k, only been used for about a year and he hired one of the mechanics to come help put it up. Then brought in an electrician to finish it up. Cost him ~3k all told
Good point. I haven't looked yet but could probably find a deal. Good used one is fine with me. It's like using one at the shop you work at so to speak.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A 4 post lift will often get in the way of stuff you are trying to work on. But in a lot of situations, it makes it easier to work on some things too.

If going with a 2 post, then you also have to decide if symmetrical or assymetrical arms will suit your needs better. And if you are ok with having a floor plate or not.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
A 4 post lift will often get in the way of stuff you are trying to work on. But in a lot of situations, it makes it easier to work on some things too.

If going with a 2 post, then you also have to decide if symmetrical or assymetrical arms will suit your needs better. And if you are ok with having a floor plate or not.
Floor plate don't bother me, but Didn't think about arm difference. Good point!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My1975K10Chevy