1985 SWB 2wd 1/2 ton C10 Rear Axle Flip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Lost Texan

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
LS
I currently have an all original factory ordered 1985 C10 Short Box 1/2 ton 2wd with 56” (6) leaf springs. It is my understanding this set up is a little unique due to the mass majority of the swb, 2wd 1/2 tons having 52” (4 or 5) leaf springs. I recently purchased an axle flip kit. My question: the flip brackets have two holes, one centered and the other off-set. Everyone I talk to and everything I read on the inter-web tells me to use the off-set hole and make sure the off-set hole is toward the front of the truck. The manufacturer of my flip bracket tells me the off-set hole is only for 52” leafs and the center hole is only for 56” leafs. Does this sound correct? 99% of the flips brackets I see only offer the one, off-set hole. Just curious why I have brackets with two holes (options). The purpose of the off-set hole is to move the axle back to make it centered in the wheel well, correct? Is this not necessary for 56” leafs? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I do not have the 56" spring pack but I would think you'd still want to move the axle back because by lowering it you are, effectively, making the space between the pinion and transmission shorter.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I would stick with what the manufacturer told you. If it doesn't center the wheel in the opening, then try the other hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy