1978 k25 stalling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papapavs1

Reaction score
First Name
avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hello, I have a 1978 k25 with a 350 engine. The previous owner installed a new ignition switch and distributor. Ran great for a while, then started intermittently dying on me. I first ensured I had good voltage to the HEI, which I did. I replaced the distributor, which didn’t seem to do anything. It starts, will run for a few minutes, and will then shut off, and will then seem to stall more frequently after it first dies and is restarted. I am thinking of replacing the ignition cylinder next as I know that was replaced with presumably a Chinese one, unless someone has other input. For what it’s worth, I did do some welding on the truck with the battery still hooked up by accident, but I drove it a few times after with no issue.

papapavs1

Reaction score
First Name
avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Correction: Previous owner installed new ignition cylinder, not switch.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
Probably a fuel problem.

papapavs1

Reaction score
First Name
avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It doesn't sputter at all, just dies so I wasn't suspecting fuel. I was watching the carb while lightly revving it one time when it died, and it was spraying good the whole time.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When you get done shot gunning the problem we will still be here.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's not your lock cylinder or the ignition switch if you have good voltage at the HEI when it dies. If you are uncertain take a piece of speaker wire split each end so you can attach one of each wire at one end to a 194 bulb, when you have the bulb in front of you, you will see where to bend the contacts up and twist the wires on. Other end connect one lead to alligator clip and clamp it to a ground. The other lead twist it onto a safety pin. Stab the safety pin through the backside of the HEI 12V connection. Now your distributor is connected and a 194 bulb is piggybacked into the circuit. Stick your bulb under 1 wiper so you can see it. If the lights on when the truck dies,key cylinder,adjustment and ignition switch its self are ruled out.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
It's not your lock cylinder or the ignition switch if you have good voltage at the HEI when it dies. If you are uncertain take a piece of speaker wire split each end so you can attach one of each wire at one end to a 194 bulb, when you have the bulb in front of you, you will see where to bend the contacts up and twist the wires on. Other end connect one lead to alligator clip and clamp it to a ground. The other lead twist it onto a safety pin. Stab the safety pin through the backside of the HEI 12V connection. Now your distributor is connected and a 194 bulb is piggybacked into the circuit. Stick your bulb under 1 wiper so you can see it. If the lights on when the truck dies,key cylinder,adjustment and ignition switch its self are ruled out.
I love all your old school diagnostic hacks/advice. Reminds me of a better time! lol. When you could diagnose a car problem with a safety pin and a light bulb!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukas