‘87 454 TBI, NO Fuel spray, HAS fuel pressure, has 12v @ injectors, has spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mine
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Drove the truck for an hour to pick up my kids Sunday. Turned truck off, kids put their stuff in, daughter went to start truck literally 2 mins after I turned it off and it would crank fine, but not a hint of fire. Ended up having to get it towed home.

There is ZERO fuel from the injectors when cranking and the tips are bone dry. There is 10+ psig of fuel pressure downstream of the fuel filter and you can hear the pump running in the tank.

There is +12v at one pin of each injector connector with the key ON.

There is NO pulse from the injector wires (using a timing light clipped to leads).

There IS spark at the spark plug wires.

Ecm B fuse looks fine.

What do I check next?

Thanks

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Will it run and Rev up if you put a couple of tablespoons of fuel down the throttle body. Have you checked for codes? Have checked all fuses?

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Check the module in the distributor. It controls injector pulse.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Check the module in the distributor. It controls injector pulse.

agree - you could run through the diagnostics, but it sure sounds like the ICM based on having spark and fuel pressure.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I thought ecm controlled spark at cranking speed ignition module took over above 400 rpm. That's why I said see if would Rev with fuel down the throttle body. If it has spark at crank but loses it above 400 rpm I'd be looking at module. And I said check codes, looking for a tps malfunction. If tps thinks he's in clear flood he won't get fuel but will get spark.

Last edited:

beady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mine
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I thought ecm controlled spark at cranking speed ignition module took over above 400 rpm. That's why I said see if would Rev with fuel down the throttle body. If it has spark at crank but loses it above 400 rpm I'd be looking at module. And I said check codes, looking for a tps malfunction. If tps thinks he's in clear flood he won't get fuel but will get spark.
Will check in a bit. One other clue that I’m looking into now is there are no interior lights or headlights either.

Pulled and metered every fuse, all read intact.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Will check in a bit. One other clue that I’m looking into now is there are no interior lights or headlights either.

Pulled and metered every fuse, all read intact.
You need to check the fuses in the box. Check for power on both sides,a burnt fuse will only have power on one side. But a fuse with no power on either side is still a problem,not the fuse it self,but a problem with that circuit.

beady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mine
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Runs fine on starting fluid.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size

I believe it is the reverse - 400rpm and below the ICM is controling the timing and above 400rpm the ECM is controling the timing.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Runs fine on starting fluid.

I'd run through the diagnostics to be sure (i think you need chart A4 from the emissions and drivability manual). but my money is still on the ICM being bad.

beady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mine
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I'd run through the diagnostics to be sure (i think you need chart A4 from the emissions and drivability manual). but my money is still on the ICM being bad.
You wouldn’t happen to have that handy, or a link?

I just found a site with service manuals, but it only has 1986 and 1988. Not sure which is more in line with 1987 since that seemed to be the year things changed.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/s...204905f8377e59c61d6fb891e28d90d&topic=30115.0

Thanks

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Usually when the ICM module goes bad you lose both spark and injector pulse - if it runs off of starting fluid/bit of gas dribbled into the TB then you can rule out the pickup in the distributor and probably the ICM as the problem. The way the injectors work is they have +12 on them continually, and the ECM pulses the ground side to trigger them. Since you have pressure and +12 on the injectors, I'd start checking to make sure your ECM is playing nice. If you've also lost power to other in-cab systems, that could be impacting the power to your ECM and no ECM=no go. Does your Service Engine light come on when you turn the key on? If so, can you jumper the holes on the ALDL connector and check for errors?

beady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mine
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Usually when the ICM module goes bad you lose both spark and injector pulse - if it runs off of starting fluid/bit of gas dribbled into the TB then you can rule out the pickup in the distributor and probably the ICM as the problem. The way the injectors work is they have +12 on them continually, and the ECM pulses the ground side to trigger them. Since you have pressure and +12 on the injectors, I'd start checking to make sure your ECM is playing nice. If you've also lost power to other in-cab systems, that could be impacting the power to your ECM and no ECM=no go. Does your Service Engine light come on when you turn the key on? If so, can you jumper the holes on the ALDL connector and check for errors?
I removed and put back the main battery ground and the lights, etc., came back. Still zero fuel spray.

There is no check engine light (at least that I can see when ignition is turned to ON or feeling behind dash for a loose bulb. I have the bezel off and am going to pull the cluster to see what I see, and troubleshoot the speedometer at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy