What Engine Do I Have

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I have a 1984 GMC C1500 that originally a 305. The engine in it now is supposed to be a 350.

The only number I can see is on the pad on the passenger side of the engine behind the alternator. That number is V0826FSC I tried looking for the casting number at the rear but there is too much stuff in the way to see it. I'll keep trying to find it.

Looking on the internet at various decoders I can find V= Flint Michigan O8= Month 26= Day but I can't find anything for FSC

Anybody have any ideas? I have cleaned the psd off so I could read it and looked at it several times to make sure that I was reading it correctly with my 65
year old eyesight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Geoduck

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That is a nice engine. What casting number heads are on it?

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I didn't look, but I'm assuming they are the stock heads.

I'm trying to figure out what fuel pump to buy for it as a spare for Power Tour. I'm assuming that in 94 it came with an electric pump. It has a manual on it now.

I have been out of the Square body game for a long time.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

I'm trying to figure out what fuel pump to buy for it as a spare for Power Tour. I'm assuming that in 94 it came with an electric pump. It has a manual on it now.

If it's got a manual pump you will want another manual pump if its 2 port get another 2 port if it's 3 port get another 3 port. I wouldn't take a spare pump,I wouldn't take anything spare unless I already owned it and it was small and light. It's not like you're driving a Citreon, there will be tons of people willing to help you and a parts store every 30 mile and it's a SBC. You can take everything you can think of and every tool you have and have a flex plate or a balancer come apart a ujoint. No way to predict what's going to happen. And the flex plate and balancer weren't things I pulled out of my Azz I knew a guy with a fresh crate 383 all new for a tour,the balancer came apart. My dad was coming to get me in Oceola Missouri and a flexplate cracked and bound up on the highway.I had a ujoint surprise my once. Buy what you need if you need it same with most of the tools. Read this thread tools for the trip Posted by I am Johnny. Same deal wanted to stock up on tools and parts, needed,nothing. It's worth a read for the entertainment value.

Last edited:

Geoduck

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

If you pull a valve cover you can find the casting number fairly easy.
The reason mention it is 906 vortecs heads flow amazing. With those heads and a mild cam you have some serious torque and HP.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Vortecs came out in 96, so,don't get your hopes up.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
It runs pretty good as is, and isn't going to get modified. I bought it to be just a driver and for the Power Tour. My wanting big horsepower days are gone, I have seen what it has done to vehicles and my wallet.

Ricko, I'm probably over packing, but I want to take an extra fuel pump as that seems to be the most common item I see in the breakdown videos and the discussions of previous trips. It has a 3 port pump on it now, I just don't know what year to order. I have been out of the GM truck game for a long time.

I am going to have the u-joints replaced prior to the trip as they are the original 40 year old GM ones with the resin pins, and the carrier bearing that's on there is on borrowed time, so I figured I would get the u-joints done too when the carrier bearing was replaced. I don't want to get involved in trying to change them along the road.

I haven't read the article yet, but it will probably describe me. I was able to pare my tool selection down to the bare minimum.

I have been fixing the little things that came up as I have been driving it, so hopefully it will be an uneventful trip.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It runs pretty good as is, and isn't going to get modified. I bought it to be just a driver and for the Power Tour. My wanting big horsepower days are gone, I have seen what it has done to vehicles and my wallet.

Ricko, I'm probably over packing, but I want to take an extra fuel pump as that seems to be the most common item I see in the breakdown videos and the discussions of previous trips. It has a 3 port pump on it now, I just don't know what year to order. I have been out of the GM truck game for a long time.

I am going to have the u-joints replaced prior to the trip as they are the original 40 year old GM ones with the resin pins, and the carrier bearing that's on there is on borrowed time, so I figured I would get the u-joints done too when the carrier bearing was replaced. I don't want to get involved in trying to change them along the road.

I haven't read the article yet, but it will probably describe me. I was able to pare my tool selection down to the bare minimum.

I have been fixing the little things that came up as I have been driving it, so hopefully it will be an uneventful trip.
Try asking for a fuel pump for a 1986 c10 305 automatic. They should hand you a 3 port pump

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Thank you, I called the parts store earlier and found one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486