PLEASE HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harley011905

Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a 1978 k10 with the 350 and 350 transmission. It was not wanting to start so I put a new ignition switch in and now the key is stuck in the column and it won’t start. I tried putting the old switch in and no luck. I also tried to Atleast start the truck from the switch with a screw driver, the brake light and seat belt light come on but it won’t start. And the key is stuck in the ignition. This is my only truck. Please help!!

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Doesn’t sound like the switch is the culprit, go back to the original switch. Any other lights on the dash, are the headlights bright. Could be the starter, could be a neutral safety switch, Im sure there is a diagnostic list. AAA to a reputable mechanic close by?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
IDK….

Since your key won’t come out is the column shifted into “Park”?

If the column isn’t in park the neutral switch will prevent starting and the key cylinder will keep the key from being removed.

Did you bump the neutral safety switch while working on the switch? The neutral switch I am using does not lock in position and can easily be knocked out of adjustment.

Do you have a tilt column? If so is it super wobbly?

Have you worked on anything else recently?

If that stuff is all good:

Test the power wires that feed the cab, should be 2 of them IIRC. One is from the battery positive lug at the starter, there’s a fusible link right where it hooks to starter. The second wire comes from the alternator and goes to the bus bar near the brake booster, there are fusible links at that bus bar too.

Maybe give the starter some light hammer taps and try the switch with a screwdriver again.

Have someone work the switch while you test the purple wire on the starter solenoid with a test light. Should light up when they hit the “start” position.

You can test the wire at the NSS also, IIRC there should be a 2 wire connector with a yellow wire in and purple wire out (purple wire goes to starter). Test purple wire when switch is in “start” position test light should light up. If no light test the yellow wire should light at “start”. If the NSS is getting power in but not out it is either not in park or neutral, not adjusted correctly, or worn out.

Check your battery voltage, should be at least 12 volts

Check the grounds, battery should ground to either the alternator bracket or the front of the block somewhere

While checking grounds check the integrity of the battery cables. Should be clean and tight at the battery. Cables can be corroded and rotten inside the plastic shielding so if you have tons of corrosion it’s a good idea to check

harley011905

Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
IDK….

Since your key won’t come out is the column shifted into “Park”?

If the column isn’t in park the neutral switch will prevent starting and the key cylinder will keep the key from being removed.

Did you bump the neutral safety switch while working on the switch? The neutral switch I am using does not lock in position and can easily be knocked out of adjustment.

Do you have a tilt column? If so is it super wobbly?

Have you worked on anything else recently?

If that stuff is all good:

Test the power wires that feed the cab, should be 2 of them IIRC. One is from the battery positive lug at the starter, there’s a fusible link right where it hooks to starter. The second wire comes from the alternator and goes to the bus bar near the brake booster, there are fusible links at that bus bar too.

Maybe give the starter some light hammer taps and try the switch with a screwdriver again.

Have someone work the switch while you test the purple wire on the starter solenoid with a test light. Should light up when they hit the “start” position.

You can test the wire at the NSS also, IIRC there should be a 2 wire connector with a yellow wire in and purple wire out (purple wire goes to starter). Test purple wire when switch is in “start” position test light should light up. If no light test the yellow wire should light at “start”. If the NSS is getting power in but not out it is either not in park or neutral, not adjusted correctly, or worn out.

Check your battery voltage, should be at least 12 volts

Check the grounds, battery should ground to either the alternator bracket or the front of the block somewhere

While checking grounds check the integrity of the battery cables. Should be clean and tight at the battery. Cables can be corroded and rotten inside the plastic shielding so if you have tons of corrosion it’s a good idea to check
So, it runs now. But it will only start if I’m in reverse, does that mean I need to go get a new neutral switch?

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The ignition switch itself is mounted down on the steering column.
It is actuated by a rod connected to the key cylinder.
The ignition switch has adjustment, it can be moved to align correctly with the key position.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, it runs now. But it will only start if I’m in reverse, does that mean I need to go get a new neutral switch?
No, sounds like the nss is working. Just needs to be adjusted
Try bypassing the nss to get you going. But without more info provided could be nss adjustment or Trans/ign switch linkage adjustment.

harley011905

Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Try bypassing the nss to get you going. But without more info provided could be nss adjustment or Trans/ign switch linkage adjustment.
Thank you!!!! How do you adjust those?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It’s been a long time since I messed with one. But it’s on the column and has slotted holes for adjustment.
You get the stuck key thing fixed? That sounds more like shift linkage or ignition switch out of adjust ment.

harley011905

Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It’s been a long time since I messed with one. But it’s on the column and has slotted holes for adjustment.
You get the stuck key thing fixed? That sounds more like shift linkage or ignition switch out of adjust ment.
I haven’t been able to work the key out yet. How would you adjust those to get it out. Even with the ignition switch off the column and the key linkage rod just floating it still won’t go all the way back and out. Not sure if it’s just the column it self or what

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Yup ^^^^

I’m not sure if they all adjust the same but the new one I put on my project can just be pushed left and right without tools. Some may have screws with slotted holes you would need to loosen up to adjust.

Put the column in park
-Disconnect the plug on NSS with purple/yellow wire
-Connect multi meter set for continuity to those two prongs on NSS
-Adjust the switch to figure where continuity starts and stops
-there will be two spots in the switch with continuity park and neutral
-adjust the NSS to where it’s in the center of the park range while the shifter is in park.
- hook wire back up and see if it starts in park
-if start in park shift to neutral and test again
If those work set ignition to run (with engine off) shift to reverse and check your back up lights

ETA: Because it is starting in reverse your switch could easily be out of whack either way and thinking it’s either in N or P

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Here’s a how it works to assist

The inner part of your column which is moved by the shift lever has a square hole that moves a tab on the underside of the NSS

You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s the tab I was referring to, this is my old switch. Looks like the old switches have two screws in slotted holes behind it.
You must be registered for see images attach

The switch only recognizes 3 spots: Park & Neutral to allow starting and the last is Reverse because the other two wires go to your back up lamps in the tail lights.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I haven’t been able to work the key out yet. How would you adjust those to get it out. Even with the ignition switch off the column and the key linkage rod just floating it still won’t go all the way back and out. Not sure if it’s just the column it self or what
Ya not sure. And I’m not an expert by a long shot. Haven’t had a steering column on these trucks apart in probably 30 years.
But I may get that chance here soon. My new ‘77 has a “catch” in the key switch that you have to work through to get it out of lock position. Sometimes…lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85