I need a donut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
I have a 1985 350/400 out of a 2500 GMC. Running the stock exhaust manifolds with the A.I.R deleted. Also using the stock down pipes as the ole 2500 came factory with true duals. Like a dummy, I pitched the old donut exhaust gaskets on tear down and now I have no idea what size I need to put it back together. Purchased a pair from O'Really's and of course they aren't thick enough. Anyone have any suggestions?

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Seems like the Fel-Pro # is 8194. Worth a shot as it fits many SBC apps.

HS

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Never knew there were different thicknesses. I just get the size specified for the application.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I rarely mess with manifolds anymore, but in the past, my local parts store back then never wanted me to have them look it up by application. They just had me go in the back and pick the donuts I wanted.

These days, the stores don't stock sh!t for donut gaskets. I recently needed donut gaskets for the 350 in my van, they had to order them in. They were the correct ones at least, lol.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I rarely mess with manifolds anymore, but in the past, my local parts store back then never wanted me to have them look it up by application. They just had me go in the back and pick the donuts I wanted.

These days, the stores don't stock sh!t for donut gaskets. I recently needed donut gaskets for the 350 in my van, they had to order them in. They were the correct ones at least, lol.
I guess I'm lucky having a mom and pop store still in operation

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I guess I'm lucky having a mom and pop store still in operation

I'd a tried the local Napa (still a great mom/pop type store) but it was late on a weekend so they weren't open.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I went to work in parts over 30 years ago. I knew how to find the industrial and "hard to find" stuff because I was patient enough to look in the books. The electronic systems in the parts houses still omitted quite a few parts that were "ordinary" or commonly used. I recently was looking for a u-joint and went to the store to look through the catalogs...which were no longer present in the stores. They don't even know what a book is! Fortunately I have the popular u-joint sizing and cross referencing book that I retained for myself from a couple decades back. I was easily able to find the conversion joint by simply looking in the reference. Things certainly have changed a lot over the recent years; if you cannot source a number electronically you probably are not going to be able to source it at all without doing some independent research. Happy hunting on your replacement parts.

HS

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Reading?
Books?
I suppose you can look at an analog clock and know what time it is too!

Kids today..
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
(1982!)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I went to work in parts over 30 years ago. I knew how to find the industrial and "hard to find" stuff because I was patient enough to look in the books. The electronic systems in the parts houses still omitted quite a few parts that were "ordinary" or commonly used. I recently was looking for a u-joint and went to the store to look through the catalogs...which were no longer present in the stores. They don't even know what a book is! Fortunately I have the popular u-joint sizing and cross referencing book that I retained for myself from a couple decades back. I was easily able to find the conversion joint by simply looking in the reference. Things certainly have changed a lot over the recent years; if you cannot source a number electronically you probably are not going to be able to source it at all without doing some independent research. Happy hunting on your replacement parts.

HS

Unfortunately, I only know of one parts store that still has books on hand. It's several hundred miles from home. I've got a Napa Body Hardware book from 2013 that I have to take with me to the local store when I need to restock.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I've got a student replacing the engine in a 97 C1500. The heater hose connector broke (of course) & I extracted the remains & chased thr threads. I spit the PN out for the replacement & he got out his phone & checked me. "Strick, how did you know that by just looking" he says. Here came the teachable moment. I told he & his classmates that although I hadn't slung parts for years now, I still retained many numbers by memory. Now, put down the damn smart phone & use your brain!

HS

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Unfortunately, I only know of one parts store that still has books on hand. It's several hundred miles from home. I've got a Napa Body Hardware book from 2013 that I have to take with me to the local store when I need to restock.
The store I go to has books, and they do use them for old stuff or oddball parts

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Reading?
Books?
I suppose you can look at an analog clock and know what time it is too!

Kids today..
You must be registered for see images attach
Guess I'm old because I can read an analog clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30