Edelbrock Q-Jet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Nope, not a typo. Craigslist find- picked it up in a package deal along with a basically brand new Q-jet and a good used Q-Jet. Anybody had experience with these? I vaguely remember playing with one back in the mid 90's, but I didn't have the car for long.

It says it's a 795 cfm on the box, and appears to be in real good shape but dusty from sitting out on top of the box in the guys garage for a long time.

A little google digging and it looks like they have been discontinued by Edelbrock. Still seeing parts and kits available though.

The Edelbrock and used Q-Jet were run for a real short time on a 350 and then removed in favor of a 2-barrel... Go figure.

So what do you guys think? Worth keeping? Any easier to tune than a Q-Jet?

Anybody actually running one?

-Josh

Attachments

• IMG_20130928_172844.jpg
    IMG_20130928_172844.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20130928_173005.jpg
    IMG_20130928_173005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 148

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
And the Q-jets, in case anybody was wondering...

And yes, I'm excited.

:big_banana_Dance:

-Josh

Attachments

• IMG_20130928_172815.jpg
    IMG_20130928_172815.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20130928_172834.jpg
    IMG_20130928_172834.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 153

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think it's just a branded q-jet with some minor tweaks and some of the major pollution control stuff removed. Not knocking it at all though, I'd rock it! :waytogo:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That's the best carb that will ever wear the Edelbrock name plate.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
I'm probably gonna use the "new" Q-Jet to start. Looks like rebuild kits for the Edelbrock Q-Jet run about $30-40 online, so I'll probably grab a kit and freshen it up as a backup.

I've been looking for an hour or so trying to find out what the actual differences are, and although the Edelbrock literature talks about "refinements" and "improved ease of tuning" I haven't been able to find any specific examples. It does look like the Performer RPM version has a set screw plug to access the APT screw, but that's the only concrete difference I'm seeing. Mines not the RPM, so no access plug. Yet...

I'm tempted to run the Edelbrock just so I can tell people I have an Edelbrock Q-Jet on it.

-Josh

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm probably gonna use the "new" Q-Jet to start. Looks like rebuild kits for the Edelbrock Q-Jet run about $30-40 online, so I'll probably grab a kit and freshen it up as a backup.

I've been looking for an hour or so trying to find out what the actual differences are, and although the Edelbrock literature talks about "refinements" and "improved ease of tuning" I haven't been able to find any specific examples. It does look like the Performer RPM version has a set screw plug to access the APT screw, but that's the only concrete difference I'm seeing. Mines not the RPM, so no access plug. Yet...

I'm tempted to run the Edelbrock just so I can tell people I have an Edelbrock Q-Jet on it.

-Josh
Go for it! Is your current carb giving you headachs?

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
Don't stone me if I'm wrong, but the later Q-jets were made by Carter. Edelbrach bought Carter and made some "Carter" Q-jets with the Edelbrach name. Are we confused yet?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Don't stone me if I'm wrong, but the later Q-jets were made by Carter. Edelbrach bought Carter and made some "Carter" Q-jets with the Edelbrach name. Are we confused yet?

Yup, Carter was under contract when Rochester couldn't keep up with demand. They will have "Caryer" stamped in the casting.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Go for it! Is your current carb giving you headachs?

It's pretty trashed. The PO had mentioned that the carb was a rebuilt which he put on recently. Cold started and drove great on the test drive. When the PO delivered the truck at the Title place, all the emissions stuff was torn off and plugged. He claims he wanted to make it "run better by taking off all that emissions junk", but I'm thinking he took back the "New" carb and put the shot stocker back on. The rear 2 bolts holding the carb to the manifold are missing and the idle screws are the wrong thread.

I'll be trying to get on the phone in the next few days with Cliff's Performance and see what they recommend. I've got the P/Ns from the in-the-box Delco Q-Jet, the running Q-Jet, the Edelbrock, and another Q-Jet I had sitting in the garage from an old project. I'll see which one they recommend I go with, and buy a rebuild kit.

The in-the-box Q-Jet looks to be in great shape, but I don't know if I want to trust gaskets and seals that have been sitting on a shelf since the late 80's.

-Josh

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's pretty trashed. The PO had mentioned that the carb was a rebuilt which he put on recently. Cold started and drove great on the test drive. When the PO delivered the truck at the Title place, all the emissions stuff was torn off and plugged. He claims he wanted to make it "run better by taking off all that emissions junk", but I'm thinking he took back the "New" carb and put the shot stocker back on. The rear 2 bolts holding the carb to the manifold are missing and the idle screws are the wrong thread.

I'll be trying to get on the phone in the next few days with Cliff's Performance and see what they recommend. I've got the P/Ns from the in-the-box Delco Q-Jet, the running Q-Jet, the Edelbrock, and another Q-Jet I had sitting in the garage from an old project. I'll see which one they recommend I go with, and buy a rebuild kit.

The in-the-box Q-Jet looks to be in great shape, but I don't know if I want to trust gaskets and seals that have been sitting on a shelf since the late 80's.

-Josh
NOPE !!!!!! dont trust it, install a kit in whichever ones You is going to be running.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Well, looks like I'll be using the Edelbrock Q-Jet on the 'Burb.

I spent a good bit of time on the phone with these guys...

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/index.html

and from our conversation and going over the P/Ns and conditions of the various carbs I have, they told me that the Edelbrock was probably my best bet. I was surprised- figured they'd recommend the "New" Rochester in the Delco box, but that came in 2nd place.

I ordered a rebuild kit and the "How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester QuadraJet Carburetors" book, which I highly recommend.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

-Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pugs Speed Shop