Column Shift Linkage Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Does anyone have a picture (or better yet know the part number) of the bushings that go on the shift linkage AT THE COLUMN? I have the small bushing on the rod itself, but I assume there should be another bushing at the steering column lever hole as well, as the linkage rod is pretty sloppy and loose in that lever hole.

Or is the small bushing on the my linkage rod incorrect?

You must be registered for see images attach

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Update:
After looking through some pictures of steering columns for sale on ebay, it appears my steering column may just be missing what looks like a rubber grommet in that column lever hole.

Rick76

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
These worked for me. https://gmclassics.com/part/transmission-linkage-grommet/

I think what you have left on your rod is the plastic bushing insert from the original two-part grommet. I had that plastic bushing as well on one rod, but it was still inside a partially shredded rubber grommet.

Install tips: soak the grommets in piping hot water to temporarily soften the rubber. It’s a bit of a task to work them through the shifter arms on the column. Once you get them through, you can reattach the linkage rods.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
These worked for me. https://gmclassics.com/part/transmission-linkage-grommet/

I think what you have left on your rod is the plastic bushing insert from the original two-part grommet. I had that plastic bushing as well on one rod, but it was still inside a partially shredded rubber grommet.

Install tips: soak the grommets in piping hot water to temporarily soften the rubber. It’s a bit of a task to work them through the shifter arms on the column. Once you get them through, you can reattach the linkage rods.
Appreciate the tip. I was going to try lubing it up with some silicone first, but I wouldn't have thought of the hot water trick.

I also did a little more research and came up with Dorman #02373 as a replacement grommet, and I ordered one to pick up tonight and try. Once I confirmed it fit I was going to post back here, but if it doesn't I'll try that grommet from your link. Thanks!

Rick76

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Appreciate the tip. I was going to try lubing it up with some silicone first, but I wouldn't have thought of the hot water trick.

I also did a little more research and came up with Dorman #02373 as a replacement grommet, and I ordered one to pick up tonight and try. Once I confirmed it fit I was going to post back here, but if it doesn't I'll try that grommet from your link. Thanks!
I did that at first but now remember that they don’t come with the bushing. You still have one of your bushings. Do you have the other one too? I only had the one so I just ordered from gmclassics. I still have the other parts leftover, so I just now confirmed that the plastic bushing fits inside perfectly. Without the bushing the fit of the grommet alone is sloppy. I did have it on the shifter arm once, so the grommet does fit well inside there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06