Vehicle Hauling Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 on its way to a K2500
Engine Size
Not sure if this post belongs here or somewhere else on the board, but looking for recommendations on finding someone to haul a parts car from Houston TX area to Dubuque IA area. Any online message boards or other places to post such a question? It's a parts car so doesn't need any special accomodations, plus the car rolls and steers so shouldn't be that hard to load. Thanks for any assistance.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Can give you a number for a broker I’ve used a couple times but also it will be far more expensive to haul a non running vehicle. You’ll basically have to pay for the whole load with a hotshot driver.
It’ll be a bit better if it’s a truck or something that can be winched up onto a gooseneck with ramps.
Car haulers for cross country moves are generally running semi truck haulers that require running vehicles with brakes.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
You can always get quotes from any of the online brokers like the uship places. I’ve done that and had to wade through the fake quotes and flaky drivers.
Thats how I got the dude I use. He seemed like a straight shooter and was, so now use him directly.
Jerry Davis 754-229-2418. He’s very thorough and helpful and screens the drivers he uses quite well.
Tell him Thrall reccomended him to you.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
From what I gathered when I shipped our family truck from here to Kentucky, and from when it was originally shipped from Michigan to Washington, the luck you will have trying to find someone depends on how many trucks/drivers come through your area. They depend on backhauls since they never want to be empty, so the farther away from a major area you are, the longer you’ll have to wait for a broker to find a guy.

That guy or gal will vary wildly. The truck wasn’t running when it came to me from Michigan, so a guy did everything…had a winch to pull it up, and rolled it off the trailer for me. After that I was on my own. Next time when it was running, I got some sketchy Russian dude who just about burned up the clutch trying to get it on the trailer to Kentucky, until I basically forced him out of the cab and did it myself.

Be very clear to the broker exactly what you have, and let them know that they’ll be on the hook if a driver shows up that isn’t up to the task.

I made the mistake of doing an online form to find a driver, which led to HUNDREDS of calls from random guys, even months after I’d told them the truck was gone. Find one broker, call them on the phone and let them do the work- the online thing is a dumpster fire and it creates one hell of a headache. Sorry if that’s not the answer you’re looking for, but it was such a debacle that I had to post something.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 on its way to a K2500
Engine Size
Find one broker, call them on the phone and let them do the work- the online thing is a dumpster fire and it creates one hell of a headache. Sorry if that’s not the answer you’re looking for, but it was such a debacle that I had to post something.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a broker to recommend? About how pricey was it to ship from Michigan to WA?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a broker to recommend? About how pricey was it to ship from Michigan to WA?
I could see if I could find the original paperwork after work today and get that to you. My remembrance might be off, but I think it was some thing around $1600. That was in 2016 though so things may have gotten more expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gsparky