Turn signal troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
Got a new bumper, disconnected all wiring, splicing off trailer wiring, adding new liscense plate lights to constant brown. All was well, then no right rear turn signal.All bulbs are good, running lights work there, but no flashers or turn signal on that side. Dark green feeding in from rear harness looks fine, re spliced together along seam, so I don't know. Fuses good and all other lights. Thanks for the response.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Got a new bumper, disconnected all wiring, splicing off trailer wiring, adding new liscense plate lights to constant brown. All was well, then no right rear turn signal.All bulbs are good, running lights work there, but no flashers or turn signal on that side. Dark green feeding in from rear harness looks fine, re spliced together along seam, so I don't know. Fuses good and all other lights. Thanks for the response.
Go undue everything you just did.Put it back like it was. Does the problem go away? I'll bet it does. Now research what you are trying to accomplish,see if you can see where what you are doing created a problem. It is very unlikely that you did wiring on the back of the truck and coincidentally at the same time something else on the truck failed creating a problem. If you cut your finger off and your hand hurts,it's probably because you cut your finger off not because you sprained something at the same time.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Most turn signal issues are due to poor grounds or missing grounds at the light housings, the wiring loom up under the rear bumper not grounded, or one of the two-conductor signal bulbs is inserted with the wrong orientation. Also check your instrument panel ground up under the dash.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
splicing off trailer wiring
double check this.

and obviously check the bulb socket & bulb (make sure both filaments are good)

I''m assuming brake light does not work on it also- correct?

Attachments

• 78fleet.png
    78fleet.png
    288.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
Go undue everything you just did.Put it back like it was. Does the problem go away? I'll bet it does. Now research what you are trying to accomplish,see if you can see where what you are doing created a problem. It is very unlikely that you did wiring on the back of the truck and coincidentally at the same time something else on the truck failed creating a problem. If you cut your finger off and your hand hurts,it's probably because you cut your finger off not because you sprained something at the same titime.
All I did was tap into the brown for liscense plate lights, brown being running lights and side markers. Those still work. Trailer wiring has been spliced off for months, no problem. I took the liscense plate lights back off, and no change. I assume I bumped something, so I was looking for help as to where the grounds have been disconnected, ect.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
Most turn signal issues are due to poor grounds or missing grounds at the light housings, the wiring loom up under the rear bumper not grounded, or one of the two-conductor signal bulbs is inserted with the wrong orientation. Also check your instrument panel ground up under the dash.
Rear harness under bumper has been the source of past problems, hence the trailer harness delete. I'd think grounds would be the source of trouble here, I'll look into some diagrams.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
double check this.

and obviously check the bulb socket & bulb (make sure both filaments are good)

I''m assuming brake light does not work on it also- correct?
Thanks for the diagram. Much appreciated. Fresh bulb, and brake is also out unfortunately, so most probably a ground issue. I'll check andreport back

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
All I did was tap into the brown for liscense plate lights, brown being running lights and side markers. Those still work. Trailer wiring has been spliced off for months, no problem. I took the liscense plate lights back off, and no change. I assume I bumped something, so I was looking for help as to where the grounds have been disconnected, ect.
Okay I didn't understand what you meant disconnected all wiring splicing off all trailer wiring. Sounded much more involved than tapping into 1 brown wire. If your lights worked right before go double check everything you did. Taillights work so not a ground issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantley