Stiff Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey All

I have a 1989 Burb with stiff steering will not return to center after making a turn,
New Steering gear box Red Head, 4,000 miles ago
All new steering components in the last two years
New steering shaft aftermarket for jeep
Steering pump three years old
Replaced the gear box because the OEM was toast steering was ok but loose
After the replacement box steering was very stiff First one from NAPA, Second one a Red Head that still stiff not as bad but started making a loud clicking sound, now on the third one after 4000 miles or so has not gotten better. a little better after driving for a while??

The only thing i can think of is that i removed the Drag link to the pitman arm with a Pickle fork with a air hammer! seems ok also have a inline filter and aftermarket cooler Plugged/?

Last edited:

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would get the front tires off of the ground, disconnect the pitman arm and turn the tires by hand to see if it’s the joints or box, pump or column.
Disconnect the Steering stabilizer to check that too if it has one.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hard to say over the computer but what Troy suggested is a good starting point.

Just something to keep in mind, time and mileage don't mean much with todays junk parts. After my experience, I'd be looking at the balljoints first. I had right at 2 years on my balljoints and ~20k miles, the steering had suddenly become tight just like you're describing, wouldn't unwind itself and was taking a little more effort than normal. Checked everything and found nothing, no clunk in the ball joints, nothing else showed it's head during my inspection. Left for a week and a half, 5k mile roadtrip with the GF. 2 days after we get back, the lower balljoint decides to pull out of the socket and the truck slams to the ground. We were by ourselves running 90mph across the middle of nowhere for 3 days straight just before that, it could've been BAD had it let go then. I wouldn't drive the truck much or at least not at speed until you get it figured out

You must be registered for see images attach

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@T-roy K10 @TotalyHucked
Thanks for the response
This is a 4x4 with a solid axel
The steering was fine except for a severaly worn out steering gear. Replaced that and the stiff steering began?? Three boxes later same not returning to center
better after driving fos a while?
I re greased everything, lifted the front end and moved the tires by hand did not feel anything, Will try disconection stuff and go from there Also went through priming the steering pump prodecure

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You state steering parts were replaced, was the Sub aligned afterwards? If so, was that around the time the return to center issue started? I ask because caster directly effects return to center.

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@T-roy K10 @TotalyHucked
Thanks for the response
This is a 4x4 with a solid axel
The steering was fine except for a severaly worn out steering gear. Replaced that and the stiff steering began?? Three boxes later same not returning to center
better after driving fos a while?
I re greased everything, lifted the front end and moved the tires by hand did not feel anything, Will try disconection stuff and go from there Also went through priming the steering pump prodecure

I have the same truck and had the same problem. Disconnected the stabilizer and it got a lil better. Bought a Lares gear box and now it’s much better. It still doesn’t return to enter like a new model truck but it’s way easier to drive now. I was constantly correcting the steering going down the road because wherever you put the wheel that’s where it stayed, Extremely annoying. I have a feeling they don’t have enough caster set on these trucks. More caster would make it return to center better but will take more force to turn the steering wheel.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@nvrenuf
Yes was sent to allignment shop before the new steering box was installed Was good untill I Installed the box I think taking the drag link off the gear box with a air hammer with pickle fork may be the culprut, cannot twist it by hand???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74