SM465 Release Bearing Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
Hello,

I just purchased a new release bearing from NAPA its an SKF N4068. The part of the bearing where the clutch fork goes does not have the same "point". Does anyone know what this point is for? It seems to me that it keeps the bearing from spinning on the shaft of the transmission as this part of the bearing gets wider so it spins into the fork. See Photo
You must be registered for see images attach

The new bearing doesn't have the same point and it doesn't spin nearly as easliy as the old one. I worry about it spinning on the shaft of the transmission and wearing the clutch fingers. See Photo
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like old grease on the "heavy duty" (the outer part of the bearing covers up the inside of the bearing) bearing as well......... WTF did I buy? Below is a youtube video I made that shows how noisey the old release bearing is when shaking it so evertime I hit a bump or there was some vibration, she would make a ton of noise. I feel like returning the new bearing and ordering from Summit, rarely have problems with there products. anyone know a part number from summit for a new release bearing?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think that point is just a pressure point where the fork has pushed in on the sheet metal 900 million times. As for the new one not spinning as easy,it shouldn't spin easy your old one spins easy because there's no grease in it. Run across a parking lot,it's easy,run through the shallow end of a pool,not so easy.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks normal. Grease has stiction. That's a good thing. Run it.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I think it's to keep it from spinning on the fork maybe?

I've seen these and bought new ones with the point in the past.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The point is supposed to be there. Well, let me rephrase that... it's there on purpose. I've removed many and installed many that had that point made into the collar. I think it will be fine without it though. Many applications use a bearing that doesn't have the point in it.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
If I knew what the point is used for it would better equip me to make a decision if I want to buy one with one or not. Another option would be to weld a point on the flange but that sounds potentially problematic... I would understand if you folks don't know - it is a pretty obscure question.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I think it's to keep it from spinning on the fork maybe?
If I knew what the point is used for it would better equip me to make a decision if I want to buy one with one or not. Another option would be to weld a point on the flange but that sounds potentially problematic... I would understand if you folks don't know - it is a pretty obscure question.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

It's to prevent it from spinning.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
As long as its trapped, it doesn't matter if it spins, its not going far and as soon as there's any real pressure the bearings are going to take care of the spinning.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
Id hate for the shaft to wear by the inner portion of the throwout bearing spinning on it. Too late now, she is all bolted up with the "heavy duty" throw out bearing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Id hate for the shaft to wear by the inner portion of the throwout bearing spinning on it. Too late now, she is all bolted up with the "heavy duty" throw out bearing.

Like I mentioned before, many applications do not have such a device to prevent the collar from spinning. They all seem to work fine.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's not going to spin,when there's pressure on it, friction will hold it the bearings will do the spinning. When it's released it shouldn't be touching anything to spin it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malditorama