Parking Brake Cable Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carterjdrake

Reaction score
First Name
Carter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7L 350CI
Does anyone know if a cable upgrade kit exists for parking/e-brakes, that eliminates the old eyelet system and just has cables that run directly from the parking brake pedal bracket to the rear brake assembly? Or can I just order cables made to length from somewhere?

I've got an 83 K1500 long bed that still has rear drums.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you eliminate the eyelet system how you plan on hooking up two brake assemblies to one brake pedal and routing it around the driveshaft and aXLe?

carterjdrake

Reaction score
First Name
Carter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7L 350CI
If you eliminate the eyelet system how you plan on hooking up two brake assemblies to one brake pedal and routing it around the driveshaft and aXLe?
Same way you'd run anything else like wiring or brake lines. Follow the frame rail back, then drop down at center axle and go out. Or just do like any late model truck does. As far as the pedal goes, just need a 2-to-1 bracket.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Same way you'd run anything else like wiring or brake lines. Follow the frame rail back, then drop down at center axle and go out. Or just do like any late model truck does. As far as the pedal goes, just need a 2-to-1 bracket.
Well, the passenger side will be about 6 foot longer than the driver side in that case. When you make the 90 degree bend at the "center axle" you gonna use a pulley or what? Steel cable don't like being bent at sharp angles. Plus, the cable enters the backing plate at a slight forward angle, you can't come in from the side. I guess I'm wondering why you're making it difficult. The OEM system is about as simple and reliable as it gets.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I would like to remove the eyelet system aswell cause I always get ice and mud built up on the cable. I have moved my wiring harnesses to the inside of the frame rail but now need to figure out a system aswell to run the e brake cable on the inside aswell. And my exhaust pipe is running right where the two meet and not hooked up right now.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I agree with Squareroot on this as the factory 80 up system works well but you can get cables/ brackets from Lokar, custom cables and several others. Maybe an e-stopp would help in this situation.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Only thing I know of besides factory replacement stuff (that works great btw, I personally wouldn't change it if you're still running factory drums) is the aftermarket electric parking brake conversion kits. They're typically meant to be used with rear discs though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mechanicwannabe