Oil pump options and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

williestreet

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Starting to look into some low oil pressure issues. I am hoping it might just be a bad pressure sensor and will try to get a mechanical gauge on to confirm pressures tomorrow.
I was looking at the Melling site to review their options and they list 3 different High volume pumps.

Does anyone know the difference between the big bock style vs the small block style? They are all listed as working but does the big block style need a different oil pan ?

I haven't replaced one before. Is there anything else required to swap one out or just one of the pumps listed and the intermediate shaft they require as well?

Any advice or tips from those who may have done a High volume swap on a 305?
Thanks.

Attachments

• DA8D9666-5A3A-44B5-A9EB-12F4879087C2.jpeg
    DA8D9666-5A3A-44B5-A9EB-12F4879087C2.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 16

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
There's no reason for any more pump than what gm put in it. High volume pumps are harder to turn, harder on distributor gear,cam gear, and oil pump drive. If you have low oil pressure, find the real cause. You can spin in rod and main brgs with the pan off if oil clearance is the problem.

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Standard pumps work fine. High volume pump as a repair crutches another issue. If 4x4 pan is easy to remove. Roll new main and rod bearings in. Have done that successfully on many customer vehicles. It is a bit of a gamble and messy. Only alternative is yanking the engine for o-haul.

A HV pump in a GM SB or BB my opinion has no downside. I have never seen a failure caused by that style pump. Ford SB is a different story. Recommend using a HD pump drive shaft with the steel collar not the plastic one.

If 2wd pan removal is more difficult due to clearance. Might just rebuild it depending on overall condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy