Need Help! 1987 R10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbarber608

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello,

I own an 87 R10 with a TBI 350. I was driving the truck without any issues when suddenly, while going up an incline, it backfired so hard that it blew the muffler apart. I had it towed home and tried to crank it, but it wouldn't start. We tried using starting fluid, but it didn't help. Suspecting an issue with the ignition system, we decided to replace the distributor and coil. This allowed the truck to crank and run, although it was running rough. We adjusted the timing, and it seemed to improve.

However, after getting it to crank, it would idle for a bit and then go dead. Holding the gas pedal down kept it running, but it continued to run rough. After reading some posts online, I suspected a problem with the TBI unit, so I purchased and installed a new one. Unfortunately, the issue persists. I checked for vacuum leaks and replaced a few cracked lines, but the truck still runs rich and stalls out.

I would appreciate your advice on the next course of action.w

Thank you,
David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjmjet1