Indicator issues '79 C20 Suburban.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DutchSuburban79

Reaction score
First Name
Yoeri
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
350cui
Hello,

This is my first thread on this forum.

So my windshield wasn't water proof that has been fixed. But after awhile the indicators/hazards weren't working.

I bought new relays, put those in and they still didn't work. Drove the car around without and now that it's been warmer I put the relays back in and the hazards work! All the bulbs flash, but when the lights are turned on the fronts flash seperate from the side markers. But the indicators do not. We put a meter to the purple wire on the steeringcolomm with the ignition ON. We got some reading when switching left or right. So I believe the turn signal switch is good. I remembered we tested the flasher unit a while back and it also clicked like it should. I checked the grounds up on the core support cleaned them up. Also when the brakes are pushed both brake lights go ON, except when the turn signal lever is pulled to either side, either side of the brake lights go out. So right on the lever (I believe) left bulb goes out, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to look? I know the wiring in the back is a little dodgy so I will check that. But maybe someone here has the golden ticket!

Thank you in advance!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You may have two issues. The indicators on the dash might be a separate issue than the rear lights.

The front light operation is normal.

By "relays", do you mean the flasher units? There's one for the turn signals and another for the hazards.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check the grounds at the rear of the bed, and the bulb sockets for good contact.

DutchSuburban79

Reaction score
First Name
Yoeri
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
350cui
You may have two issues. The indicators on the dash might be a separate issue than the rear lights.

By "relays", do you mean the flasher units? There's one for the turn signals and another for the hazards.

Yes the 2 round ones the fusepanel. I replaced those with new ones. But there is also a physical flasherunit above the fusepanel. I believe that one flashes the indicators. As the hazards flash from the round one in the fusepanel, I feel/hear it clicking. But the one on the bottom for the indicators doesn't do anything, the indicator lever does send power through the wire coming out of the column.

I will check the ground in the rear, as per the other reply. That might solve all the problems, I'm sure it's something stupid that I just overlooked lol.

DutchSuburban79

Reaction score
First Name
Yoeri
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
350cui

Yes the 2 round ones the fusepanel. I replaced those with new ones. But there is also a physical flasherunit above the fusepanel. I believe that one flashes the indicators. As the hazards flash from the round one in the fusepanel, I feel/hear it clicking. But the one on the bottom for the indicators doesn't do anything, the indicator lever does send power through the wire coming out of the colomm.

I will check the ground in the rear, as per the other reply.

So I double checked everything and decided to pull the fuse (we checked it back then and it was good) the regular old fuse was blown..... everything works again.... life is a joke hahah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garybest