in tank fuel pump with Edelbrock carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spedigo

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
big10
Engine Size
Still fixing previous owners set up, what is the best way to address?

I have a 350 with an Edelbrock carb. I want to move the electric fuel pump into the tank. What exactly do I need to do that? I know that Edelbrock says they don’t want more than 6 PSI.

so what’s the best way to run it after the tank? Do I need a fuel pressure regulator, how will filters impact the situation, etc.?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Does your block have the option of installing a stock mechanical pump? They are really cheap, and generally reliable once you find a good supplier. Using an in-tank electric pump is a way more expensive option to feed a carburetor.

spedigo

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
big10
Engine Size
it does not. It’s an 88 or newer block and it was not cast for a mechanical pump.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Several ways to skin this cat. Use A TBI pump,sender and tank or a TBI sender and pump and don't let your tank get low. TBI pump is going to be ~ 12 psi. Run it to a factory pump with no pushrod,use the factory return line let the factory pump be your junction and regulator, then you can use a factory steel line from,pump to carb. Or same basic set up. When Chevrolet developed the ZZ3 as a factory up grade for the Camaro. They went TBI pump to a bypass regulator, regulator was mounted in the factory fuel pump location using a bracket bolted where the pump bolts up,again bypass is factory return line outlet is still a factory hardline to carburetor. See if you can look up factory install instructions for zz3. As @75gmck25 said a good factory mechanical pump is cheap and reliable,problem seems to be getting a good one and second problem seems to be getting one with the correct pressure. If you aren't running a return line and have mechanical pump provisions a fuel pump for a 64 Impala 327 4bb should work. Chevrolet 4bbl through 1964 was Carter afb, Edelbrock bought the rights,changed the name and reintroduced them as Performers. A late 60s big block Nova/ Camaro 3 port fuel filter would allow youbtobrun a return line if you have one.

Last edited:

spedigo

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
big10
Engine Size
problem is, this block was cast with no for a mechanical pump. It does NOT have a block off plate for where the pump should go. It has nothing. Like a G.I. Joe’s privates, cast smooth.

so, Rick and everybody, what would be the best set up? I don’t care whether the pump is in the tank or not where the previous owner had it placed seems wrong. It’s up near where the mechanical pump would be.

I understand it, it should be near the tank but below the fuel level of the tank.

But I’m not sure about where the filters should go, if there’s a special pump that would be better than others in this situation (especially given the pressure limitations)?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
problem is, this block was cast with no for a mechanical pump. It does NOT have a block off plate for where the pump should go. It has nothing. Like a G.I. Joe’s privates, cast smooth.

so, Rick and everybody, what would be the best set up? I don’t care whether the pump is in the tank or not where the previous owner had it placed seems wrong. It’s up near where the mechanical pump would be.

I understand it, it should be near the tank but below the fuel level of the tank.

But I’m not sure about where the filters should go, if there’s a special pump that would be better than others in this situation (especially given the pressure limitations)?
If it were mine I'd want to go tbi pump in tank. Bypass regulator at factory fuel pump location ,are the bolt holes not even there? If not at factory pump location,then a bypass regulator mounted in that vicinity. Then you can run a steel line from regulator to carb,any rubber lines and clamps will be under the engine,so a leak is on the ground,not on top of the engine. If I didn't want to go with a tbi pump and sender,I'd want my external pump as close to the tank and as low as I could get it. You know, with an aftermarket electric pump you may be under the 6 psi threshold any way,and if you ran a fuel filter with a bypass even 7 psi or so would drop back below 6 or I could tell you how to get it below 6 no regulator reguired.Mount the filter low and to the front.Wix 33041 is a good example but hard to find,there's others I have a much easier one to come by but don't remember number or application off hand,but can dig for it, but look at the 34041. Wiring the pump when it comes to that, I'll write you a schematic with a 10 dollar relay that will only run the pump with the truck running,for safety and fire issues,just like Chevrolet did with the ZZ3.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Put it in the tank and upgrade to EFI. You'll end up doing it someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy