Hey...what's the big idea..??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Off the top of my head I really couldn't think of a better title...sorry.

So, is there a section in here for the lovers of Quadrajets?
And before ya start bashing them, yes, I am familiar with the issues they had in the early 70's. But after 74'-75' the issues were resolved.
And just because a couple passages had sealing issues, that doessn't mean every QJ is garbage. They are easy to understand. Easy to tune and I personally think they are fun to rebuild.
I find that when you start talking about QJ's, 99.5% of folks just don't know anything about them other than what the last knucklehead told them. And that knucklehead knew nothing about them either other than what the Holley rep told him.
It not easy to sit down and read a few books on a subject when there's 300 channels of re-runs to donate I.Q. points on.
(rant mode throttled back...)

Anywho, where's the QJ group hang out?...or ain't there one?

Thanks in advance...
Ignore the rant if it hurts...

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The original Quadrajet on my ‘75 is one of the older models, and due to some of its issues I didn’t even try to rebuild it. However, I’m now using a Quadrajet pulled from an ‘85 C30, and based on the numbers it is a 1980 or later version. It’s probably one of the last models with no electric or electronic controls.

I bought a rebuild kit from Cliff Ruggles, and he spec’d the parts that needed to be changed to work better with my aluminum heads, about 9.2 compression, and 213/217 cam duration.

My truck is cold blooded until it warms up, but that may be because the heads don’t have an exhaust crossover. Overall it starts snd runs well, but I think it might run better if I did some swapping of rods and jets to make it run a little richer.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The original Quadrajet on my ‘75 is one of the older models, and due to some of its issues I didn’t even try to rebuild it. However, I’m now using a Quadrajet pulled from an ‘85 C30, and based on the numbers it is a 1980 or later version. It’s probably one of the last models with no electric or electronic controls.

I bought a rebuild kit from Cliff Ruggles, and he spec’d the parts that needed to be changed to work better with my aluminum heads, about 9.2 compression, and 213/217 cam duration.

My truck is cold blooded until it warms up, but that may be because the heads don’t have an exhaust crossover. Overall it starts snd runs well, but I think it might run better if I did some swapping of rods and jets to make it run a little richer.
I like Cliff's book on the QJs and he's only about a 3 hour drive from me.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
There's lots of love for quadrajets on this forumn,we don't have a group or meet for lunch or anything,but there's plenty of us. Lots of fast cars built ,and out of the factory with quadrajets. I always stick up for the quadrajets. Buick GS had qjets as did 455 Super Duty Pontiacs ,and W30 Oldsmobiles,Super Cobra Jet Fords and there are guys running 8s with qjets in some classes. A great carb,harder to set up than a Holley, no shame in Holleys,I just prefer qjets. But for a novice a Holley is dirt simple to set up and run good. I have no love for the 60 year old design Carter AFB model C, I mean Edelbrock Performer.

Last edited:

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This spring, thru my son-in-law, I met an old GM mechanic. Knows QJs like the back of his hand. He agreed to allow me to assist him in rebuilding my original QJ. It took about 4 hours (I'm sure I slowed him down). I had read 3 or 4 books on QJ's over the winter, and had rebuilt one before going after the original. (My rebuilt one was never bolted in or run.)
So the original has been performing like a dream and only needed an idle adj after installing LT headers.
So I gets me this phone call yesterday and it's my carb buddy. He needs an old QJ throttle plate bushed. "Sure no problemo. Bring it over."
He brings over 3. The first 2 was his attempt. The spindle on his old Delta drill press betrayed him...twice.
Those are gonna take some time, IF, they can be salvaged. The 3rd TP was virgin. Set it up on the angle plate and indicated in the shaft bore. Jig reamed the first side and pressed in the oil lite bushing. Then reamed the bushing. Flipped the TP over, rinsed and repeated. He slid that shaft in and I think he wet himself. Never seen him smile before then. He didn't know what to say other than, "I didn't know what I was going to do".
It is so gratifying when ya make someone elses day.

Now to try and salvage the other 2 TPs. That's gonna be interesting.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, you’ll have no problem with the Q-Jet love here. In fact, you’re more apt to get the response “why would you ever want to get rid of one?”

As a child of the 80s/90s, we were told that they weren’t cool. My dad’s corvette had one but we never messed with it…go figure.

If you want to wear a flame suit, post that you love Edelbrocks. I have one, because I bought my truck with one and since it already had all the Eddy hookups, I upgraded to the AVS for more CFM and the annular boosters. it runs flawlessly and is easy to tune. But if I ran across one on a buddy’s truck I’d be happy to learn. This fall, I’ll be doing exactly that on a friends ‘72 GMC.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I don't do carbs period but my dad is a quadrajet master. He knows every trick in the book. I've had 2 cars with QJ's on them, my '87 IROC and my current '85 GMC when it still had the 305. I helped him rebuild and tune the one on the IROC in HS but I've long since forgotten the tricks. When I bought my GMC, I just told him "have at it". I do know the throttle shaft bushings wear out which limits your tuning until you either fix them or buy a fresh QJ. I bought a fresh one off a local guy and then let my dad tune that one.

One of these days I'd like to buy another truck or car and keep it small block/carb'd and get him to teach me. My dad's getting up there in age and I'd like to learn and retain more of what he can teach rather than just getting a quick lesson and moving on like I've done so far.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've said for years most abandoned projects have a swapped on Holley. Unless it's a racecar, or crazy HP; I think qj's are the best carb. On our C10, I brought the qj core to a dedicated qj shop and for a few hundred he added the car base to the truck top, rebuilds, and tunes on engine stand based on your engine specs. I personally don't know enough to modify carbs anymore and have forgotten any little tricks I knew.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
On our base the throttle shaft bores were all worn out, so I sourced the dreaded Holley.
The Quad still lives here, but probably as a dust catcher on the shelf.

I get between 9-12 mpg anyway, so either carb is doing me the same in that department....

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I have a Q-jet on the 73, it's ok. Like the Holly 750 on the 454, but now I have this....Cry baby!! Next best thing to fuel injection, but a learning curve. QF is an 850 DP. She shore is purdy.

Attachments

• IMG_2859~photo.JPG
    IMG_2859~photo.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2870~photo.JPG
    IMG_2870~photo.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2871~photo.JPG
    IMG_2871~photo.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2872~photo.JPG
    IMG_2872~photo.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 18

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On our base the throttle shaft bores were all worn out, so I sourced the dreaded Holley.
The Quad still lives here, but probably as a dust catcher on the shelf.

I get between 9-12 mpg anyway, so either carb is doing me the same in that department....
Oh, I could put bushings in that T-plate if you wanted to restore it. Takes about 45 minutes or so...as long as your shafts are not chewed up.

Fat 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
ok - i'll see your QJ and raise you a ... thermo-quad. top jetting, spread bore, no heat sink and bigger fuel bowls - what's not to like. If you think the QJ gets hate, it ain't nothing like the TQ!
There is a bit of info out there about tips and tricks. I know everyone hates the resin bowl etc. , however i'm playing to see what you can achieve for economy, reliability, "repairability" and low end torque. May make a post about it if there is any interest ( maybe its already been done ?? )....

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ok - i'll see your QJ and raise you a ... thermo-quad. top jetting, spread bore, no heat sink and bigger fuel bowls - what's not to like. If you think the QJ gets hate, it ain't nothing like the TQ!
There is a bit of info out there about tips and tricks. I know everyone hates the resin bowl etc. , however i'm playing to see what you can achieve for economy, reliability, "repairability" and low end torque. May make a post about it if there is any interest ( maybe its already been done ?? )....
Go for it.
Put up a thread about it.
There may be something in the reference library about them. If not, blaze a trail.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantley