Gear Vendors OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
I've searched here, looking for some more recent input with folks who have actually used the GV OD units in these trucks. I'm not looking for an 'expert' opinion on what I should do, just real world experience with the GV.

Rig is an 87 2wd 3/4 Burb with 454/Turbo 400/3.73 FF D60 and about 108K original. I want to be able to do a bit of towing of a large camper or krawler hauler, and have purchased the newer Curt hitch- has better tongue rating. Won't get into weight of towed trailers and open that can of worms. Suffice to say the idea of splitting gears with the GV does appeal.

I have had trucks with both the 4l60 and 4l80's, and had to rebuild both. 05 3/4 Burb w/8.1 had a trans rebuild done and I upgraded to the billet converter/etc. (Yes, shouldn't have sold that truck). I won't waste time with a used 4L80 as I can't swap them myself when it goes bad. I have a trusted trans guy, and I think the cost of a quality HD 4L80E plus controller is going to exceed the cost of a new GV and install cost. All I read is that the GV is solid and good quality. We know the TH400 is a solid base.

So, looking for folks with actual GV experience to tell me their thoughts on it. Not a daily, so I don't mind hitting a switch to split gears or send it to OD - want the best function and once and done method. This rig won't ever leave so I am building it to last me as long as it want to use it. My pinion seal has a small leak, so prob will end up doing a gear swap to 4.10 when I fix that, and see what diff I have and upgrade it accordingly.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have a gear vender in my Olds. While it does work and do what it’s intended to do, if I were to do it over again I’d go 4L80 without hesitation.

The ability to program shift points and shift quality is a huge benefit. The lockup converter is probably the biggest benefit.

I did a couple Drag Weeks with my car. You’re allowed to carry supplies/spare parts in a 4x8 uhual style trailer. One day the specified route had us driving a winding, steep uphill road. With the gear vender engaged, the car laid on the converter pretty hard. Shut off the gear vender, the engine was at basically the same rpm but the trans was much happier. While most tow vehicles don’t have a 10 inch 4000 converter, the ability to lock the converter would have been beneficial.

Considering the TH400 and 4L80 are probably 75% identical inside, they have a comparable overall strength. If you’re tearing up 4L80s, more than likely it’s a builder or installation issue. More than likely it have valve body issue the builder has overlooked, or the cooler is insufficient.

Last time I checked, a complete gear vender setup was almost 3 grand. Unless the 4l80 core was really chewed up, I would think you could have one built, and pay for a controller and have some gas money left over.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Last time I checked, a complete gear vender setup was almost 3 grand. Unless the 4l80 core was really chewed up, I would think you could have one built, and pay for a controller and have some gas money left over.
True, so true. 4l80's can be built to last. Nicks Transmissions, a member here has some
awesome build videos (4L80E) you can watch. Great person to talk to.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have zero experience with one but all I've heard is positive feedback. When I get to that stage on my R3500/C30, I plan to do a 4l80 with a GV. I'd like to have an OD when towing, 2 additional OD's for when unloaded or running light, and the ability to split when going up to Flagstaff from Phoenix.

I had a good conversation with Nick a few months back and hopefully able to support his business when the time comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herbanledgendz