Father / Son project K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatzbear

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
k/c 10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Hello all. My son and I have started building his dream truck “Cheyenne”. He graduated this year with a mechanical engineering degree and has moved back into the empty nest. I guess he couldn’t stand his salary burning a hole in his pocket or that my shop was clean and had space, so he bought a 75 c10 Cheyenne. I know the truck and the guy he bought it from ( I’m law enforcement and he was a coworker from another agency). Long and short last year he got a good deal on a fairly straight body 2wd. The PO had a reman 350 bored 30 over with an Edlebrock (ewww) carb and intake. It has Dart iron horse 165 heads with stock exhaust manifolds. All held together with more rtv than bolts. Typical stamped chrome valve covers with long shaft thandle valve cover bolts stuck to the block with three or four gaskets and five tubes of permatex gray rtv. But hey at least he thought enough of spraying low temp Krylon on everything inside and out on the block. But hey the th350 has around 500 miles on the rebuild. After talking it over and hear his plans he wanted to custom lift it. I finnally got it through his head of how bad an idea lifting a 2wd square body 6 inches was and he found a 78 K10 donner for a 4wd frame swap conversion. It shows it is a Scottsdale camper special stepside. No motor but full drive line and axels (14 bolt rear 10 bolt front). I’m not sure what trans case it has but it too was a 350/350 turbo as best as I can tell.
My adhd kicked in overdrive and we got to going on the build. First we completely stripped the 75 and took body/ cab off. Now the pieces are on carts and laying on my shop with the frame outside. Most everything is in good shape but there is a few panels that need to be pulled or cut and patched - you know the typical square body places.
I’ll stop here and break down what we found in another post to help document the build. The boy might have gotten the egghead degree but he knows nothing beats a redneck engineer with no money.

Attachments

• IMG_8773.jpeg
    IMG_8773.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8774.jpeg
    IMG_8774.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8778.jpeg
    IMG_8778.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8782.jpeg
    IMG_8782.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8777.jpeg
    IMG_8777.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 5

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
:welcome:

Welcome and cool project!

One piece of advice, as I am coming to the end of a 3 year restoration (also a father son project) is do not throw anything away until you are 100% certain you are long past reassembly of that portion of the truck. Even if you bought replacements, upgrades, or aren’t planning on using it.

Fatzbear

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
k/c 10
Engine Size
383 stroker
My exact thoughts right there. Notice the shelving unit on the left. I made him buy totes to put everything in. My motive is either he or I are going to get our hands on another sb eventually. Also my dad was a sb fan and that’s where I learned my stuff from. But being young and dumb when he passed I sold everything sb related but the tools. He had several sets of double humps for small and big blocks. And god o Lu knows how many 4 bolt blocks he had also sb and bb. He used to hit the junk yards and snatch them out of old bread trucks. He even had several th400 ……. All gone now.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria. Nice project.