Crate SBC 350 installation plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I’m prepping to install a new complete turn key GM crate SP350 (385HP/405TQ) engine into my ‘83 K5 that I have (almost) finished with the multi-year restoration on and would like to get y’all’s final recommendations on the engine install plan/idea before I get started. Things to note: I am doing the work by myself but can get help, if needed but it may not be right away that any help would be here to help me. So, I’ll need to take the fastest, easiest and safest approach. I have a hoist, transmission jack, lift jack, an engine hoist, engine leveler/chains, an engine stand and an engine lift bracket that mounts to the intake manifold. I’m working in my very hot garage and will have to have the Blazer front end just inside the garage and the eng/trans/hoist inside the garage for smooth concrete to roll the hoist forward. I removed the entire radiator core support for more direct installation (the fenders and wheel wheels are still in place). All the new engine accessories, pulleys, carb, brackets, starter, etc. have not been installed. My initial thought is to mate the core engine to the completely rebuilt 700R4 and install the combo first using just the hoist and the manifold lift bracket since I can go almost straight into the engine compartment. Doing it this way will eliminate the additional weight making it easier for me to man-handle the eng/trans and hoist
and will eliminate all the accessories from getting caught on things. Then I would install the accessories from the open front end and the starter from underneath since I have plenty of headroom under the 4” suspension lift. Now for my questions. Is this the best approach considering my situation and limitations? I don’t yet have the new trans lines but should I buy/install them onto the trans before installing the eng/trans combo? Trans dipstick: install before or after eng/trans combo install? I am considering exhaust manifolds over headers. Should I install them before or after engine install? What else should I do before I get started? Any other recommendations? I provided a picture of the complete turn key SP350 engine but again, I have not yet installed the front accessories. Only the distributor is installed. Another reason for using the manifold lift bracket instead of the leveler and chains is to eliminate the need to remove the distributor and also since I’ll be able to go almost straight in with the eng/trans I don’t risk damaging the distributor. Thank you, so much, for your guidance, once again!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8863.jpeg
    IMG_8863.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8839.png
    IMG_8839.png
    295.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6807.png
    IMG_6807.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 13

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Sounds like a good plan to me. I would install the dipstick tube and cooler lines before you put it all in. Just take care that the lines don't get caught or pinched during installation. Exhaust manifolds and everything else after. My 0,02$

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
So this is a 2WD Blazer?

Just checking, since on a 4WD you usually install the transfer case and transmission first, and then drop in the engine.

On my K25 I bolted everything on the engine except the carburetor, and then dropped it into place using, using the cross bar to level it. You have quite a bit of space to work with on a squarebody. A little challenging to get the motor mounts to line up, but it didn’t take that long to work it into place.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
It’s 4WD. Thanks for the input!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most times I assemble the motor as much as possible before installation. Access is much easier on the engine stand. Have never used a leveler. My engine plate has 5 holes instead or the usual 3. Using the second one back angles the rear down. Will easily bolt up. Works on everything from a small block to a 6.5 diesel. Can't remember who made this plate.

Attachments

• 100_1665.JPG
    100_1665.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rvcookin