700R4 leaking after sitting a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OuchMyToe

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
400 CID
My daily driver was parked for s couple months while I helped out driving a van pool. Today I noticed a large amount of fluid had leaked out. I checked levels and it's ATF. I was about to clean and baby powder the whole underside, but then I paused and thought I'd post here and ask. It seems to me that ATF leaking only AFTER sitting for a while might be something unique. I fear that as the fluid slowly drains and fills the pan, the level finally reaches one of a dozen possible leak locations. It *seems* to be concentrated in the front-drinker (passenger) corner of the pan. I'd appreciate any comments (like—"9 out of 10 times it'll be the ..." or "that happened to me and the shop said the ... I'd almost the culprit.)

dd1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I had same issue once I parked my burb on the drive wayy for a while...I believe I had over filled transmission and it leaked through the vent on the top of transmission

OuchMyToe

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
400 CID
I had same issue once I parked my burb on the drive wayy for a while...I believe I had over filled transmission and it leaked through the vent on the top of transmission
Interesting...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Transmission fluid is sensitive to temp fluctuations when sitting. It will expand out of all the small passages and orifices inside the trans and push out. If you leave a transmission in storage with a full pan, you'll end up with a GIANT mess, ask me how I know lol.

Usually when sitting in the truck not in use, the torque converter will empty itself because of temp fluctuation, filling the pan and leaking.

Clean it up. Add fluid, warm it up, run it through the gears and check fluid again. Then watch it after a few drives for leaks. I'd bet you don't have a bad leak, might have some weeps. But I'd bet it's fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84K30dually